Roland U-20 repair or junk?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Decided to go down to the basement and fire up my U-20 keyboard after many years. Yeah finally got some time. Well most of the keys didn't work to my surprise. Did some internet research and apparently this is a common problem. So I took the whole thing apart, took all the keys out and cleaned all the key contacts with denatured alcohol and a cotton swab. Put the whole thing back together and the right half of the keyboard works like new. The left half zero keys work. Ugggg. Anyone have any experience with these? Seems like a cable connection to me. I didn't manhandle it or anything. Was very careful with the ribbons. Thinking about taking it to a repair shop to see what they say.

Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Since you've already opened it up yourself there's no harm in opening it up again to check if you reattached all the connectors and did so with the right polarity.

If you can't fix it yourself then take it to a shop.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I did a little more research.

The U-20 is a 20 year old ROMpler which is "nothing special."

If it costs more than $100 to fix scrap it or sell it off for parts.

Like I said, crack her open again and see if any polarities are reversed on any of the connectors.

Make sure all connectors are firmly seated and not misaligned by one pin.

If it still fails after that, it probably ain't worth fixing.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the motivation Gary. Wracked my brain trying to think of something I didn't connect. I already had it apart three times but it was really irritating me with half the keyboard pristine new and the other half dead it had to be something. So took it apart again. Took half the keys off. Hooked it up so I could test it while apart. Still half the keys dead. All of a sudden it switched to a drum sound and the whole keyboard worked. Must have bumped a button to drums cause it was upside down. So put it back together testing the keys after each screw I put in. Got it all back together and it works like new. The keyboard is like new and I really liked it so i'm glad it works. I had a sound library card in it but I think that's dead. Anyway thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Glad to hear that it finally worked for ya.

Whenever you take a keyboard apart like that you should photograph each step of the disassembly so you can refer to the pics later on when you reassemble.

Otherwise it's very easy to reverse a polarity or misalign the contacts when you're getting it back together again.

All's well that ends well... :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
yes video or taking pics is one of the best mechanic/electronic methods I ever adopted. My camera is the most used item in my tool box, well not actually in my tool box, My telescopic magnetc retreiver is second. I work on MB's. as a hobby too :)

Ask a Question