Roland U20

Reaction score
I have a much loved Roland U20 which I have kept going over the years mainly because I love the piano and the Rhodes sound on it. I regularly maintain it, cleaning the contacts and putting it back together again but one thing I’m constantly trying to keep up with is the keys sticking together. There seems to be some sort of glue like Araldite (remember that?) sticking a tiny piece of metal to the underside of the key. Does anybody know if there’s any way of dissolving the glue and removing the metal pieces which seem pointless?

Reaction score
If you think that the metal pieces seem pointless my initial thought is that they are a balance weight.

As for removing epoxy I would first try using acetone, if your partner/wife wears nail varnish, they will have a bottle of the nail varnish remover which is acetone.

Isobutyl Alcohol is another possible item you could try.

Do be warned that these type of products are hazardous material and safety precautions such as eye and skin protection and use only in a well ventilated area is advised.

Reaction score
"I find the way to clean the epoxy as following: soak in the NaOH (caustic soda) diluted solution for 60-120min. I got perfect result. The red epoxy melt slowly by slowly, then all gone."(garden,2009.12.12.)
"Absolutely correct! Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) diluted with H2O will disolve the glue and maintain the plastic keys and lead weights.(...) Disolve the resin in sodium hydoxide solution and then rinse with fresh water. The black key weights will naturally fall out - resoak them in solution to clean. Remove white keys from solution and then apply boiling water to weight recess. Pry weights carefully out with fine flat blade screwdriver. Resoak in solution to remove residual resin. Wash with soap water and dry."(Chant Master,2010.07.11.)
"Caustic Soda (NaOH) it is! You guys are the best for posting this info! Just be extremely careful with Caustic Soda to anyone that uses this stuff to clean the keys. I also bought some chemical resistant gloves, respirator and eye protection. Very poisonous and harmful. Can cause burns in contact with the skin!" (wknick,2012.01.12.)

Ask a Question