Roland VK-7: Top five keys (Aflat to C6) produce no sound

Reaction score
I have tried everything I know to remedy this problem. Have thoroughly reviewed the manual without success. Anybody have an idea what this is (and how I might fix it?)

Reaction score
Hi, I know this only from Yamaha keyboards and don't know about the Roland. Under the keys are rubber contact-strips usually 1 per octave. The contacts on the strip can get dirty by carbondust from the contacts or there can be a crack in the strip. The keys follow the same route to the soundprocessor so if something is wrong, a whole octave can be dead or all keys of the same kind like all A's or F's and so on.
Again this is about Yamaha keyboards but it maybe is the same sort of construction.
Hope this helps you onto the right track.
DickR

Reaction score
Thanks for responding, DickR! That's a useful suggestion! How does one go about fixing the dirty contacts? Contact cleaner?

Reaction score
You might open up the case and examine the electronics. Do the keys resemble the kind of design that DickR describes?

Since more than one key is affected you might look for a connector associated with that area of the keyboard. Sometimes reseating the connector a few times cleans it and the problem disappears. Contact cleaner or a little baby oil can clean and protect the connections.

Reaction score
Sorry YeahDoit, I don't agree at all with contact cleaner,WD40, baby oil or similar EVER to be used in keyboards. It contains oil and oil is the worst thing you can use on rubber contactpads (if they are similar as used in Yamaha's, that I don't know) it will make them sticky after a while and garanteed ruin your keyboard forever.
The ONLY thing one can use as a sort of lubricant, with sticky keys for example, is a very little talcumpowder (like babypowder! btw smells better dan the baby)

Battlecat - When I clean or replace contactpads (and believe me I did a few over the years) I use only AND VERY CAREFULLY cleaning alcohol (no not the Glenfiddich type!!).
Have a look on PSRTUTORIAL.COM and search for PSR3000 and 'Replacing contactpads' or something similar. There is a very good article with pictures about this. I know it is a different keyboard but at least you will get an idea what I am talking about.
If you are a bit handy it is not difficult but if you don't know what you are doing about this just DON'T do it and leave it to a pro.
My advice!
Good luck.
DickR

Reaction score
No, oil is not for contact pads.

There are probably electrical connectors between circuit boards. If those connections become dirty, then oil or contact cleaner may repair those connections.

Reaction score
Thanks YeahDolt and DickR! I am usually pretty handy with most things, but I've never "gone into" a keyboard before - I will explore whether this is a job I may be able to handle (or else take it to my trusty keyboard repairman). I was initially wondering if there was some programming parameter I had somehow screwed up, but it appears that it may be more of an electrical malfunction based on the input from you guys....thanks a lot for your input!

Ask a Question