Roland vs Yamaha question

Reaction score
I'm looking at Yamaha DGX-660 and the Roland Juno-DS88.

Anyone very familiar with both, and have any opinions? Thanks.

(I was leaning to the Yamaha P-125, but decided maybe it's better to get more cool sounds with a good normal piano feel/ sound too....

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
They're quite different from each other-- the Juno is a digital synth, whereas the DGX is a digital piano/arranger.

An arranger is basically a keyboard that can play "auto accompaniments," letting you perform "arrangements" of songs by playing along to a sort of "backing track." The "backing tracks" are usually designed to be of a general sort of nature as far as their drum rhythms, bass riffs, chord rhythms, and so on, so that a given accompaniment can be used to play many different songs that are all in the same general style, simply by adjusting the tempo as needed and playing the specific chord progressions that a particular song uses.

A synth will typically have a "sequencer" which can be used to create and play back patterns, or perhaps even bits of songs, but that's a lot different than an auto accompaniment.

The Juno is going to be much more powerful and versatile than the DGX, although whether you would personally be happier with the Juno or the DGX depends on what type of instrument you're looking for. You would be well advised to go to the Roland and Yamaha websites to download the manuals and other documents for both of these instruments, so you can read about their features and how to use them. Then, if that doesn't give you the information you need to make a decision, see if you can find local stores that have them on display so you can try them out in person.

Reaction score
Thanks Sea, Yeah, the Roland, seems much more substantial and professional, so leaning there...
BTW it's been out a real long time. What is your guess when next version is coming and how much better might it be?

Reaction score
If it's mostly for piano, consider the Casio Privia PX-560. Haven't tried it myself, but feedback I'm hearing is very very positive.
Also, if you're considering the Juno DS88, take a look at the Korg Kross 2 88. I have a Roland FA-08, which has practically the same keybed as the Juno DS88, but I prefer the Kross 2 (although, admittedly, the Roland feels more like a 'real' piano, but I still prefer the Korg ; your mileage may vary).
An alternative from Yamaha is the MX88, but I've recently not been too happy with the MX61. The keybed and overall construction just felt cheap. The MX88's keybed is good, tried that myself in a store, but didn't touch the casing. In the case of the MX61, it didn't feel like quality at all. Don't know if the MX88 is any better.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

The Roland DS is a great keyboard as is the Kross 2, the Yamaha is limited in instrument voices and features compared to the Roland or Korg, that said for what it is it will take some beating.

It totally depends upon what you want to use the keyboard for as to which is better.

If you can do have a visit to a Music Store to get hands on as many keyboards as you can.

If you are interested in an Arranger then currently the best ones at a reasonable price point are the Korg PA700 and Yamaha PSR S775, again have a play of these to give you an idea of what a full blown Arranger can do.

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles and Kaneda. Yeah, I was originally just looking at the $200 Yamahas for fiddling around with, making medodies for songwriting..
Then I saw the $600 P-125, and was leaning toward that, (great feel of a piano- the cheapers ones dont have), but then realized you might want all great synth sounds down the road. So I saw the Juno 88 at Guitar Center and the DGX.. which have both. Yeah, the Juno seems way better. More$ $, but if keep it even 3-5 years or more, the money in meanigless right? ( or more 5=15 years who knows..)

That said, Juno 88 is out now 3 years, when you both think the new version will come out? Would be stupid to buy it now and then in 6 months a superiour replacement comes out?

Reaction score
There is the rub with the Roland as the saying goes.

The Korg is a much more recent release.

That said I would have no qualms about buying a Roland DS as there are are so many existing patches available to upgrade the keyboard.

There are 61 key versions of both the Roland and Korg all be it they do not have the weighted action of the respective 88 key versions.

Reaction score
Juno 88 is out now 3 years, when you both think the new version will come out? Would be stupid to buy it now and then in 6 months a superiour replacement comes out?
The DS replaced the DI which I think was available for about 6 years, so the DS probably has some time to go yet. Plus they just came out with a new version of the DS (76 keys) less than a year ago, I doubt they'd have bothered if a replacement model was imminent.

And to repeat what I posted in the other forum where you asked about this...

I think it depends what you're using it for, but DS88 has a lot more features than the DGX. Differences in sounds are more subjective, and you may find you like some sounds better on one and other sounds better on the other.

Yamaha advantages include built-in speakers, auto-accompaniment/arranger functions, learning functions (i.e. built-in lessons, sheet music display), ability to hook up a piano triple pedal.

DS88 advantages include the ability to split/layer up to 16 sounds any way you want (DGX660 permits just 2 sounds above a single split point and one below), ability to store 128 custom sound combinations (Performances) instead of 32 (Registrations), ability to edit (and create your own) sounds with storage for 256 of your own patches (vs. zero), more real-time continuous controls (mod wheel, assignable/multi-function knobs, part volume sliders, jack for expression pedal), ability to use your own sampled sounds, vocoder and vocal processing/pitch correction, more buttons for quick sound selection, separate audio outputs (instead of repurposing the headphone jack), 5-pin MIDI jacks, lighter travel weight (some of these particularly useful for gigging players).

Reaction score
Scott, thanks, Yeah, I would like built in speakers, so DS 88 does not have them? some review online said of the ds 88, he did not like the speakerss, so I was hoping maybe there were there and I missed them!

And it does not have an ability to put a music sheet reader on top?

Funny all the things you mention in last paragraph are not important now to me, (maybe one day), but I just feel the Yamaha with everything is has: stand, speakers, but seems more plasticity and cheaper/goofy looking than the Roland. Also the Roland has those killer drum pads, and sounds seem better, am I wrong? The Rolands kills on sound quality and complexity?

The 76 model are the keys as good?, is everything as good as 88? I don't really need all 88, though only save $100 with 76, so if anything off / not as good, I'd still lean to 88.

Thanks for clearification.. so 88 may still be around for 2-3 more years? Hence no point in waiting..

Reaction score
I would like built in speakers, so DS 88 does not have them? some review online said of the ds 88, he did not like the speakerss, so I was hoping maybe there were there and I missed them!
DS88 does not have speakers. For a board with speakers and a large variety of sounds in the same price range, you could consider Casio PX-S3000, PX-360, or CGP-700. The new PX-S3000 has the best piano sounds of the three, and their newest action. The other two models are pretty similar to each other and have a nice touchscreen interface.

And it does not have an ability to put a music sheet reader on top?
I was talking about the DGX' ability to display sheet music on its screen. But since you mention it, I don't think the DS88 has any attachable music stand, either. I guess you'd put a traditional floor-standing music stand behind it, or maybe someone has another idea.

The 76 model are the keys as good?, is everything as good as 88? I don't really need all 88, though only save $100 with 76, so if anything off / not as good, I'd still lean to 88.
88 feels much more like a piano. 76 and 61 are non-hammer action keys, not as good for piano, but better suited for some other sounds like organ, and also lighter weight for better portability.

Funny all the things you mention in last paragraph are not important now to me, (maybe one day), but I just feel the Yamaha with everything is has: stand, speakers, but seems more plasticity and cheaper/goofy looking than the Roland. Also the Roland has those killer drum pads, and sounds seem better, am I wrong? The Rolands kills on sound quality and complexity?
Sounds are subjective... and you'll probably like some sounds better on each one. If there are some sounds that are particularly important to you, you could focus on comparing those.

As for features, sure, the Roland has a lot more... but it's better to have 5 features you'll use than 50 features you won't.

Reaction score
Scott, thanks, we'll what I loved on the DS 88 were those drum pads, overall clean elegant hip, design and clean look, build, and sound quality. That said... I could be happy without all 88 keys and without real piano feel sounds. And save $270 and have small footprint in the house. But.... for $270 and a little more space take up, you get a real paino... so I still lean that way... but not sure.. Your opinon? Nothing set, I don't have to have x, y,z....
Odd for 1k, and all they put in there, no a music stand... Yamaha P-125 has a nice one. You would think Roland could have easily put that on the 88?

(I'm asking for someone getting back into piano... are those top/ bottom keys lose full 88 and even the weighted keyboard feell that important? Can on play traditional piano on synth?)

Reaction score
Odd for 1k, and all they put in there, no a music stand... Yamaha P-125 has a nice one. You would think Roland could have easily put that on the 88?
I think it's market positioning. P125, DGX660, probably any model with speakers, is designed largely for use in the home. DS88 is more of a live performance board, where working with printed sheet music is not as common.

(I'm asking for someone getting back into piano... are those top/ bottom keys lose full 88 and even the weighted keyboard feell that important? Can on play traditional piano on synth?)
You can play piano on a non-hammer action keyboard, but dynamic expressiveness suffers, more so on some than on others, as it is much harder to control gradations from soft to loud. That's not always important, but sometimes it's very important/ Accuracy can also be more difficult, as adjacent keys to the ones you target go down more easily. Whether you need 88 keys depends on your repertoire and style. Though it's also useful for non-piano work, when splitting multiple sounds across the keyboard.

Reaction score
Thanks Scott, I hope someone comes up with a good solution to hold books or sheet music. thanks for the explanation. I'm going to be mostly at home...I just tried to call Roland ( as I'd call Martin or Fender), they are unreachable. No good phone number that I could find. Any phone contact sales for Roland? Yes, back to leaning on getting the Juno 88 for those good reasons you mention. If you are going to have something for 2 to 20 years, why not spend the $270 more...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I use one of these to hold sheet music on my DS88.

kandm115-2.jpg

studio-b-2019-0002.JPG

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, looks good. I'm not sure I'd have any pole or anthing to attach the stand to, who knows, but good start/ idea. Mine would go right over unit center low (normal place they usually are). If you have links to Bench, Stands, and Speakers you like please send.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I recommend the Onstage Two Tier Z-Stand that I use. It doesn't shiver or wobble a bit even when playing my hardest.

For speakers I recommend M-Audio BX5 or V32 monitors as budget allows.

And I STRONGLY recommend getting a custom keyboard cover from either of these guys.

DO NOT buy one of those stretchy, spandex, one-size-fits-all dustcovers. You may as well dump a bucket of sand on your keyboard if you use one of those.

Gary ;)

Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I own a pair of Mackie CR3's and a pair of AV32's used in different rooms.

Neither sounds bad, but I feel the AV32's sound better of the two.

Onstage makes a single tier Z stand as well, though for the price I recommend the two tier since adding a second
tier later on costs more than buying the two tier up front. It also does not have to be installed right away if you so desire.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The average north american home accumulates 40 lbs of dust per year.

The average person creates 1/3 ounce of dead skin each week, which is about the weight of a car key. This dead skin combines with other particles to create household dust.

While that 1/3 ounce doesn’t seem like much, the average home in the United States collects 40 pounds of dust each year.

A commonly quoted statistic is that 80% of dust is made up of dead skin, but that’s actually a pretty small percentage. Dust in houses and offices is made up of a combination of pollen, hair, textile fibers, paper fibers, soil minerals, cosmic dust particles, and various other materials found in the local environment.

Don't cheap out on the dust cover.

if you want your board to last 6 or 7 years, don't get a dust cover.

If you want it to last trouble free for 20 years, get a dustcover.

I use LeCover Dustcovers on all my gear.

studio-b -2019--0001.JPG

Gary ;)

Reaction score

Ask a Question