Roland W-30 broken sound after sampling

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my W-30. When I sample from line-in the audio is fine while monitoring but gets distorted after recording. I made a short video showing the problem. It only affects recorded audio, not files loaded from disk. I hope one can tell me what's going on here and how I can fix it. :-/

Cheers!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try easing back by 50% on recording level and see if it's still distorted.

If not, problem solved.

If it continues there's probably something wrong with your keyboard. It may need servicing.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Then something may be wrong with your setup.

That video is impossible to get any useful info from.

If your input gain is at 0% then you're definitely overdriving it with the source signal.

What are you plugged into as a source? Mic? Line Output? Headphone Jack?

Check if there are input impedance switches for each of these inputs on the keyboard.

If you're outputting from a Headphone Jack you may be out of luck. That's not a typical sampler input impedance level.

If you're inputting line level at 0% input gain then you will encounter distortion from the recording level.

Generally 20% to 50% is the sweet spot for recording anything.

Otherwise you may have to connect some sort of attenuation pad between the input and the output depending on your source and input settings.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You are right, the video is crap.

It first shows that the monitored signal on the w30 sounds as it should. The audio is coming from AUX1 on my Yamaha 02r. The source is a vinyl.
I then press manual record and play back the distorted sound. Setting gain to 20-50% on the w30 and lowering the AUX1 volume didn't help.

I think it is a hardware fault. I may open it up on the weekend to have a look at the inside. Now I try to find a way to get samples from my powermac g3 (os 9) to the w30.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, so the signal coming in is line level.

Check on your sampler and see if it has separate line and mic inputs. It may be plugged in the wrong input.

OR, it may have a Line/MIC switch. Make sure it's set properly.

OR there may be a Line/MIC setting in the menus. Check your manual.

OR it may not accept line levels at all, only MIC levels.

In that case you definitely need to put a DI box with an attenuator between them,

These are my suggestions before cracking it open.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question