Roland XP-50 : Blank Display

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I have a Roland XP-50 with an issue, where the LCD display window lights up with orange background but no text. It's a great keyboard and I want to repair it so that it's usable again. Last time I took it to Sam Ash, they tried to charge me $350 to replace a $3 battery. I live in South Florida. Does anyone know a place I can take it to or ship it to for reliable and reasonable repair ? Thanks.

Reaction score
If you think it is the battery, open up the keyboard and replace the battery. The battery is either in a battery holder, which is most convenient because you can pop out the battery and put in a new one, or worse case scenario is soldered to the board which is a more delicate procedure. And frankly if it is the latter, I would desolder it from the board, solder a battery holder in its place and then going forward you just drop the battery in the holder. If you are not good with a soldering iron, see if you have a friend that is. Frankly, the board is nearly 30 years old and is valued at about $300. I'd take the risk of disassembly and potentially soldering. if you F up, you can purchase one on the used market for the cost of the repair to replace the battery.

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. The $3 battery deal was for a different issue long ago. This is a new issue where the display lights up as orange but there is no text.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. The $3 battery deal was for a different issue long ago. This is a new issue where the display lights up as orange but there is no text.

In my opinion, based on the reams of information you've supplied, if I had to make a guess?

I'd say it's broken...

Reaction score
the D50 uses a LCD like old calculator.
Shine with a light on the LCD and can see text.
Do note : the D50 uses green text on black background. so orange means serous defect.

without service manual it's searching a needle in a haystack.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you manage to fix it steverok?

My keyboard started having that problem (sometimes it would start-up fine but after a moment the screen would go blank (orange light on but no text at all) but I found a YouTube video with an easy way to fix it :

Ask a Question