Roland XP-50 not working ... need help

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I am in the midst of a recording project, and my Roland XP-50 has quit on me. The Roland XP-50 has an LCD display with orange back-lighting. When I turn it on, there is no text - only the orange backlit rectangle. And no sound from the keyboard. Googling the problem resulted in suggestions to replace a couple of caps on the main board, something I would never attempt. I have no experience getting keyboards repaired, but I know one thing - Sam Ash Music's repair department is out of the question. Several years back they quoted me $110 to replace the battery, which I ended up buying at Walgreen's for $5 and replacing myself.

I live in the South Florida area (Broward County), and while I know people who are capable of repairing guitars, amps, and drums, I know of no keyboard repair shops. Can anyone here point me in the right direction to get me back on track ? It is such a great keyboard and totally worth repairing, if I can find the right person to do it.

Thanks in advance !

Steve

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about the problems you've been having :( Obvious question, but how long have you had it and have you checked if it's still in warranty?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No matter who you take it to, bench rates for electronic techs range between $75 and $140 an hour with a one hour minimum.

You might be able to get it fixed at a TV repair shop, assuming you can find a TV tech who would touch it, but it still would end up costing you at least $200 to troubleshoot the power supply.

My advice is to just take it to Sam Ash and suck up the punishment. Keyboard repair is always an expensive business unless you are the DIY type.

Gary :(

Reaction score
Thank you. Alternatively, if I were to buy a new one, could you point me to the modern equivalent of this model ? It has velocity keys and a large bank of synth sounds. Keyboards are not my area, so I have very little knowledge. I'm mostly an analog guy, but there are times when I need to have it. I like organic sounds - good piano, varieties of organs, melatron, etc.

Ask a Question