Saving Cubase Files

Reaction score
I'm trying to back up everything I've recorded on Cubase so I can buy a new system. I have an external hard drive, but I've had trouble with this in the past. If I...

1) save a project to the external
2) erase the original audio files from my computer
3) open the project from my external

...the project is there with my audio files, but they are obviously erased.

Can I save a project and the individual audio files it contains all at once onto my external so that I can retreive them and continue working with them again in the future, or how else should I go about this? I don't have to export each individual file to save it do I?

Thank you!

Reaction score
You could check the location of every file in the Pool, then physically copy all of them to one place (keep in mind that you not only need the *.wav files from the Audio and Edits folders, but also the associated files in the Images folder). Once you do that, and run the project again for the first time, it will ask if you want to use the old or new location, select 'new'. It will then give you a missing files dialog. Choose "find missing files", go to your new Audio folder, find the first file and the rest should be taken care of by the program.

That's the long, tedious and frustrating way. It's useful sometimes, but a quicker solution would be using the "Save project to new folder" option in the File menu. It will copy every file used by the project (no matter where it sat originally) into one single folder, and depending on the options that you choose, seriously cut down the overall size of the project (delete unused files, cut the unused bits of the tracks out, etc).

Reaction score
Oh, we're talking about Macs here. Well... I guess that it should be more or less the same, but I'd stick with option B. Just to be on the safe side. ;)

Ask a Question