Screw Yamaha

Reaction score
In addition to my purchase of a Yamaha keyboard, I also bought the Yamaha Survival pack (power supply, sustain pedal, and various coupons, including lessons, etc.). One of the supposed free lessons; is a program that only works with Apple Apps. So when I called Yamaha to inquire why I paid for programs that don't work with non-Apple Apps, the guy hung up on me the after I challenged him on why only Apple products work.

So, if you are a non-Apple user, well then the message I got from Yamaha was the hell with you. Wow! What customer support. So, will I ever buy another Yamaha product again, or recommend it to others? You figure out.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%.

If they don't support your OS, Yamaha's response is "Go pound sand."

This is the reason I haven't owned a Yamaha instrument since I owned a silver flute 40 years ago.

I will admit that I broke down and bought a Yamaha mixer last year but I bought the extended warranty from the vendor, not Yamaha. I have no intention of ever dealing with their support staff again if I can help it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The 2 largest OS for computers are Microsoft Windows and Apple. Of the 2, Windows appears to have the larger share of the market. That being the case, why would any company choose only Apple apps? At least provide apps for both OS.

What really irks me was the support person hanging up on me.

Reaction score
Caveat Emptor is Latin for Buyer Beware. Whatever Yamaha lacks, the vendor I purchased the keyboard from was and continues to be great and helpful.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Which one of Yamaha's iOS apps did you purchase thinking it would run on a non-iOS computer? I thought their iOS apps were free? The ones that I've "purchased" from the iOS App Store were, anyway.

Reaction score
All of the apps were included in the Survival Kit. It was marketed as a bonus for buying the package. JoyTunes only works on an Apple OS. The rest (Pianomarvel, playgroundsessions, linktolearnkit) are free; but for only 30 days. There is also a card that claims over $250 in rebates. Sure, $50 if you buy this model keyboard or that model. How many keyboard does a person need? Well, as the so-called support guy told me, you are really buying the AC power converter, the sustain pedal, and the headphones (cheap). OK. Lesson learned.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
How many keyboard does a person need?

According to Pianist 95, Rick Wakeman has 150+ keyboards. So that question may depend on a lot of factors.

I have four in the music room, two in the front room, three in the attic, and one in Miami. I still lust after one or two more. And one of the ones I lust after has multiple manuals.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
There is also a card that claims over $250 in rebates. Sure, $50 if you buy this model keyboard or that model.

Actually, if you can get a rebate on one of their Reface keyboards, you might find it fun. Microkeys, but they also connect through MIDI so you can use your existing keyboard to control it. Portable as heck. Cheap.

(OK, you'll need a special MIDI cable. I'm sure that Yamaha will sell it to you.)

I've never seen the need to buy one of their "Survival Kits". Most of the keyboards I buy can't run on batteries in the first place, so an AC power supply isn't necessary. And foot switches are cheap.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I've never seen the need to buy one of their "Survival Kits". Most of the keyboards I buy can't run on batteries in the first place, so an AC power supply isn't necessary. And foot switches are cheap.

I think you meant "so an AC power supply is necessary, therefore one is included in the box with the keyboard and you don't need to buy one separately unless you need a replacement or spare." That's another thing a lot of people don't like about (the less-expensive) Yamaha keyboards-- you don't get an AC power supply with them, so you must buy one separately if you don't want to use batteries. And let's face it, batteries are great for being able to play your keyboard in the park or wherever, but for all other occasions you really do want to use an AC power supply!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I knew what you meant. :) I do wish the lower-end models came with a power adapter included, but I don't mind too much having to buy a Survival Kit because of the additional items-- headphones, sustain footswitch, and extended warranty. Of the three Survival Kits I've bought, I've never used any of the coupons, free lessons, or even watched the included CD on how to play with styles. But it would be much more convenient if the necessary power adapter were included. According to the Owner's Manual a power adapter does come with the keyboard if you buy it in certain areas, which I suppose means countries that have different electrical currents?

Reaction score
Given that you have the E453 can I ask if you are a beginner?

I started with Yamaha, disliked their entry keyboards and then traded it in and moved on.

Its the way Yamaha try to lock hobbyists into the make, start offon a cheap keyboard and work up the range.

If you are a beginner then lessons one to one with an actual tutor to get you started will be more beneficial than some online lesson by a questionable producer.

If you want to play songs quickly then learning about chords and chord progressions will get you playing backings quickly.

Reaction score
I bought the Survival Kit too though I am already an Apple user so no issue there. The kit includes a card that extends the warranty by a year I believe. I agree the headphones are junk, and the output (volume) is really low. I bought a nice pair of Yamaha headphones on sale when I bought my EW400. The Playground Sessions program looks pretty interesting (and was endorsed and created with Quincy Jones) but I am using a different lesson program.

Honestly though, I think the apps that Yamaha has created with the iOS are underwhelming and have their limitations. Yamaha has existed as a successful musical instrument company long before the app was invented so I wouldn't write them on just yet. I have had (and continue to have) many many hours of enjoyment with my Yamaha gear without needing their apps, perhaps with the exception of Notestar, but it's not perfect and so most of the time I play along to songs via computer or You Tube or Spotify.

Reaction score
Surely if you bought kit with the intention of connecting it to a PC and it does not work then the goods are Not Fit For Purpose and they should be returned for a full refund?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Funny thing about software licenses. Once you've opened the package and broken the seal they do not accept returns.

SCREW ALL SOFTWARE PUBLISHERS!!!!!

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Just looked at what the kit contains.

You were screwed!

A $10 footswitch and a $10 pair of headphones makes for a $30 extended warranty and a free bit of software.

Look on the brightside (that would make a great songtitle) in two years time you will be looking to change from your Yammy to something better, you can then trade it in or drop it from a great height videoing its resultant demise and post the clip on Youtube and every Yamaha forum out there.

Reaction score
Figuring out anything about Yamaha is always a bit of a challenge: I just spent/wasted hours figuring out which memory stick to use with my latest keyboard and if anyone can figure out what they're trying to say about details of MIDI integration they're aces. On the other hand, I own many Yamaha keys from as far back as 1971 and they ALL still work perfectly. I'm a notably heavy-handed player. I recently bought a Novation synth for giggles, dropped it once and destroyed a key! Even my cheap PSR that I use for road trip holidays and cottage dock entertainment is better than that surviving rain, snow, bumps and having luggage stacked on top.

Reaction score
In addition to my purchase of a Yamaha keyboard, I also bought the Yamaha Survival pack (power supply, sustain pedal, and various coupons, including lessons, etc.). One of the supposed free lessons; is a program that only works with Apple Apps. So when I called Yamaha to inquire why I paid for programs that don't work with non-Apple Apps, the guy hung up on me the after I challenged him on why only Apple products work.

So, if you are a non-Apple user, well then the message I got from Yamaha was the hell with you. Wow! What customer support. So, will I ever buy another Yamaha product again, or recommend it to others? You figure out.

I have to say that I too find this SO infuriating that only Apple products are supported by Yamaha.
Like millions of other people I choose to use the Android platform.
Yamaha seem to think it's OK to only support half their users.
I call it very shortsighted for future sales.
Their UK support team (for support, read... Couldn't give a toss) are the rudest people I've ever encountered in the music industry.

Reaction score
@Bouncingogre sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience with them, that must have been very frustrating to go through. When you look at worldwide mobile OS usage, Android actually has 80-90% of the market, so it doesn't make sense to cut out such a large customer base!

Ask a Question