Second keyboard

Reaction score
Mr RAT suggested I post this publicly...

Hope you won't think I'm a complete idiot, here, but it's been a serious while since I've worked with keyboards. My initial run was a Hammond B3 and a Fender Rhodes 88, and since then it's been an occasional plink on a piano.

I've picked up a Korg Kronos 73. I own it but don't have it (my nephew in SF picked it up for me from a Craigsist ad and is holding onto it until I get up there from LA, or vice versa). Thus the questions about stands, monitor speakers, etc. I've been playing guitar and a little bass and have scads of stuff for those, but nothing for keyboards at home.For gigs I use a modeled guitar through a power amp and a set of full-range speaker cabs that will be just fine for keyboards for anything up to arena use <G>.

I'm wondering two things.

One, can I hook a second keyboard (cheaper, non-Korg) into the Korg and control another set of Korg voicings with that. I realize that I could probably bolt a second Kronos onto a stand, but I'm guessing that there's a lot of processing power in that Kronos that could be put to use somehow. Yeah, there's a user's manual, but I probably won't see that until the keyboard gets here, and it likely won't tell me the "gotcha's".

Two, any recommendations on that second keyboard? The Kronos 73 is neither fish nor fowl -- it's weighted, but not an 88 (and I can play an 88, but don't know that I'll need to when gigging for now, and the Kronos 88 was significantly more expensive). And I do well on a synth style keyboard (ala the B3), but in the Kronos series that was only 61 keys, and not particularly wonderful for piano. I can use BOTH an 88 weighted and a 61 synth-style and will have to make a choice at some point, but would really love suggestions on both (and I'm leaning toward the 61 only because it's more likely to make the cut for gigging).

Reaction score
Korg Kronos owners manual can be downloaded here:

http://www.korg.com/uploads/Support/USA_KRONOS_Op_Guide_E5.pdf

Yes, via MIDI, one keyboard can control and call up programs from another Keyboard and play them. That is what MIDI allows you to do. And it doesn't have to be the same keyboard manufacturer, meaning a Korg can also control a Yamaha through MIDI.

http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/etext/MIDI/chapter3_MIDI.shtml

What other types of sounds are you looking for and what is your budget? Knowing this will help considerably. Have you considered a Yamaha rack or Roland sound module which would allow you to play those sounds via MIDI without actually having to purchase another physical keyboard? Or have you considered purchasing a suite of VST plugins that can run off of an IPAD in which the interface between the IPAD and the kronos is a simple USB plug? There is a lot going on since the days of the B3 and Rhodes days..... BTW, my equipment back in the day was a CP70, B3/122, Clav D6, Mark II and Wurli. No wonder my back is the way it is.

Reaction score
I'm not really looking to increase the number of sounds available. At the moment, I'm more interested in have a second keyboard that will do sounds that are already in the Korg (the CX3 on one, piano on the other, etc.). I realize I can split a keyboard, but that's also a different thing. I've actually downloaded the manuals already -- it's just that I don't have both in one place yet <G>. Sooooon.

Budget is not particularly restrictive, though my decision making process gets squinty; I'm of the "think twice buy once" variety.

Ask a Question