Second manual to use with Hammond SK1-73

Reaction score
So I was using an Arturia Keylab 61 Essential as a second keyboard (MIDI controller) with my Hammond SK1-73 which worked okay (not real thrilled with the keyboard), but I dropped it and broke one of the keys. So I ordered a M-Audio Keystation 61 Mk3 because of the semi-weighted keys, but I cannot get it to work with the Hammond. When I talked to Sweetwater, they said (after extensive tweaking of MIDI, and research) that the M-audio is probably not a "stand alone" keyboard, and has to be played through a computer, as opposed to the Arturia. So I have two questions for you all. (1) Has anyone got a M-audio keyboard to work as a second manual with a Hammond clonewheel? (2) what is a good inexpensive MIDI controller to use as a second manual with a Hammond clonewheel? Thanks!

Reaction score
If you can find one, an M-Audio Code 61. Also, M-Audio keyboards MIDI OUT ports are defaulted "off" intentionally. Why? I have no freaking idea. The USB port works automatically, but not the MIDI OUT port. Make sure that you activate the Midi Out port in the menu system.

Reaction score
So I was using an Arturia Keylab 61 Essential as a second keyboard (MIDI controller) with my Hammond SK1-73 which worked okay (not real thrilled with the keyboard), but I dropped it and broke one of the keys. So I ordered a M-Audio Keystation 61 Mk3 because of the semi-weighted keys, but I cannot get it to work with the Hammond. When I talked to Sweetwater, they said (after extensive tweaking of MIDI, and research) that the M-audio is probably not a "stand alone" keyboard, and has to be played through a computer, as opposed to the Arturia. So I have two questions for you all. (1) Has anyone got a M-audio keyboard to work as a second manual with a Hammond clonewheel? (2) what is a good inexpensive MIDI controller to use as a second manual with a Hammond clonewheel? Thanks!
If you can find one, an M-Audio Code 61. Also, M-Audio keyboards MIDI OUT ports are defaulted "off" intentionally. Why? I have no freaking idea. The USB port works automatically, but not the MIDI OUT port. Make sure that you activate the Midi Out port in the menu system

Reaction score
It sounds like Dave probably has the answer. Basically, anything with a 5-pin MIDI Out should work fine, as long as you can put it on the channel that corresponds to the lower manual channel of the Hammond.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's usually best to get support from the factory rather than the dealer. The dealer barely has time to glance at the manual before the next latest and greatest comes along :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It's usually best to get support from the factory rather than the dealer. The dealer barely has time to glance at the manual before the next latest and greatest comes along :p

Gary ;)
I agree. I emailed M-Audio over a week before I contacted Sweetwater, and never received an answer, so I thought that was my next best option.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Manufacturer support can take months to turnaround, even without the pandemic.

Patience is a virtue. ;)

Gary ;)

PS. Let us know how long m-audio takes to respond.

Last edited:

Ask a Question