Selecting a (Graded Hammer Action) keyboard

Reaction score
Just curious about selecting a keyboard. I'm no dummy to music; I have played jazz horn for 5+ years. I'm looking for an 88 key graded hammer action piano. I'm not on a super strict budget, but nothing ridiculously expensive either. Also, I intend to someday upgrade to a MIDI keyboard, but if there is a good one with hammer action I would seriously consider it. Are any of these instruments well suited for my purposes?

Please forgive me if any of these are outrageous selections. I've done my research. I just would like to hear from those with significant exprience. :)

M-Audio Oxygen 88 Midi Controller
Yamaha MM8 88-Key Synthesizer
Akai MPK88

-Eric

Reaction score
Of your three choices, only the MM8 has any internal sounds. The MAudio and Akai are "midi controllers" only and are intended for controlling external software/software sounds. I think the MM8 is overpriced in today's market, and you should look at some of the lower priced Yamaha pianos, ie P120, P 95, etc. Perhaps a used Yamaha S80, which has a good feeling keyboard and decent piano sounds. Unfortunately, most of the 88 keys are pretty heavy, and the S80 is no exception. On the lighter side, there is the Casio PX3 at about 24 pounds, decent sounds but not on par with the Yamaha pianos. I have both an S80 and a PX3, and compromise with the PX3 due to the lighter weight.Don

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Isn't the MM8 a "mini keys" keyboard? I thought the MM stood for Mini Motif. If so, it would be totally unsuitable for a weighted hammer action feel.

Reaction score
Thanks guys.Yes, I assumed that "midi controllers" could be used just like any other keyboard (with the added function of controlling external sounds and software). I'm learning...

I'll look into the S80 and PX3. Do you know anything about the Yamaha DGX64OW? (there's an abbreviation in their somewhere)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The main thing I have against the DGX640 is that it lacks proper audio output connectors instead relying on only headphone outs and internal speakers. That's a major dealbreaker for me as I despise onboard speakers on a keyboard.

Reaction score
I actually bought the PX3 for it's midi controller capabilities. My thought is to integrate the Muse Receptor into my stage rig and use VST piano,strings, and brass. I recently did two shows using only the PX3 and the XPW1 synth, and they sounded pretty good out front. I still am going to try the Muse for some live work though, as those VST sounds are great. Don

Reaction score
So, I'm really leaning towards the PX3. I can't find a site that offers a furniture style stand compatible with it though. I prefer it to a stage style stand. Preferably, three pedals as well. The PX330 comes up with some results, but from my reading the PX3 seems to be superior. Are furniture style stands for the PX330 compatible with the PX3? Any suggestions?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The main differences between the PX-3 and the PX-330 is that the PX-3 is designed to be a stage piano. ie. It has no built in speakers and it's not intended to be a piece of furniture. That said, however, this is also its main advantage. The sky's the limit when hooking up external monitors and amplification and it's usually not too difficult to beat out cheezy onboard speakers with a good keyboard amp or monitors or a PA. It also makes professional recording of your tracks that much simpler without having to co-opt a stupid headphone jack as an output it was never intended to be.

That said, however, I repeat the PX-3 was never intended to be a piece of furniture. If an X or Z stand is not to your liking, just take some measurements and shop around for a furniture style stand, of if you're handy with tools build your own or have one custom made. Personally I like my Onstage Two Tier Z stand and it suits my needs, but if I really wanted something that blended in with my decor, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a sheet of veneered plywood and build something that would put storebought pieces to shame ;)

Reaction score
Cool! Just one last question: recommendation for any type of speakers? I had no idea it does not have onboard speakers. Not a big deal, but a suprise to me.
I have no interest in it being a piece of furniture. I just assumed the foot pedals integrated into the stand would be similar to that of a grand.
Thanks Happyrat1

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I use a set of M-Audio BX5 amplified studio monitors but for home use or studio use any sufficiently powered stereo monitors should do you just fine. For comfortable listening levels anything 20 Watts RMS and above should suit the average living room. In a pinch you could also invest in a small mixer and pump them thru your home stereo as well if you have a decent rig. A good quality home stereo generally has enough frequency response and dynamic range to substitute as a good keyboard amp in a pinch.

Here's a couple of links on monitors though if you decide to go that route.

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio/studio-monitors/buying-guide.php

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Studio-Monitors-Recording.gc

Feel free to spend as much or as little as you like on monitors but bear in mind anything over 50 watts per channel will;probably call the cops to your door with a noise complaint in a home environment :D :D :D

As for the pedals, they are attached by simple cables. You can arrange them as you see fit. Dunno if the PX-3 ships with all the pedals or if they're an extra purchase though.

Ask a Question