Self Teaching the Keyboard - Need some advice?

Reaction score
So about 4 days ago I started reading up on a 'Keyboard for Beginners' book - To say what i've learned so far is the following:

. I can identify all the Notes & The Sharp & Flat Notes

. I can identify basic music notations such as Semibreves, Minims, Crotchets

. I can work out Major, Minor, Diminished, & Augmented chords through the use of Semitones. (So C Major having a count of 4-3 Semitones means that C Major is C E G)

. I know that the Left Hand is used for the Bass Clef which represents F & The right hand for the Treble Clef which represents G

. I know that an octave is a gap between eight notes

I have also worked out one tune by ear with both hands and that's about it.

There's more I want to know though and I have questions about. For example how do I learn the scales, what else do I need to know from here?

Some Chord Names confuse me as well such as 7sus4 or 7-5 what do they have to do with Major, Minor, Diminished or Augmented? Thanks a lot for any great advice in advance!

The Y_man

Reaction score
So about 4 days ago I started reading up on a 'Keyboard for Beginners' book - To say what i've learned so far is the following:

. I can identify all the Notes & The Sharp & Flat Notes

. I can identify basic music notations such as Semibreves, Minims, Crotchets

. I can work out Major, Minor, Diminished, & Augmented chords through the use of Semitones. (So C Major having a count of 4-3 Semitones means that C Major is C E G)

. I know that the Left Hand is used for the Bass Clef which represents F & The right hand for the Treble Clef which represents G

. I know that an octave is a gap between eight notes

I have also worked out one tune by ear with both hands and that's about it.

There's more I want to know though and I have questions about. For example how do I learn the scales, what else do I need to know from here?

Some Chord Names confuse me as well such as 7sus4 or 7-5 what do they have to do with Major, Minor, Diminished or Augmented? Thanks a lot for any great advice in advance!

Well hey you know more than me after 30 years of playing! :eek:

The Y-man

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I would be lying if I said that post was helpful in anyway whatsoever

ROFL :D :D :D

Take pity on us poor old geezers who don't have the learning and retention skills of today's younger generation :D

Then again I'll bet half the youngsters out there can't tell time on an analog watch, add up a grocery bill without a calculator, or find their way crosstown without a GPS telling them where to go :D :D :D ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
/me cowers in the shadows as he watches the Y_Man don his mighty moderator boots and stomps the insolent interloper flat into a fine paste!!! :eek:

:D :D :D

Ask a Question