Selling my Hammond XK1-C, a better sounding alternative though???

Reaction score
Dilemmas!! Just been offered a great price from a local buyer for my Hammond XK1-C, I’ve never been blown away by the sound (not sure why) I can’t really “connect” with it…. I’m thinking about getting something else just for organs or maybe a few extra sounds on it, any recommendations?

I’m thinking one of these others? or don’t sell it and get a Neo Ventilator 2 for the XK1-C? it’s just one more thing to have to setup and plug in ‍♂️

Attachments

• 2D98B40E-FF05-45C0-8BDB-6A59212A3F29.jpeg
    2D98B40E-FF05-45C0-8BDB-6A59212A3F29.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 6
  • DBD10AFB-49B9-49BD-847C-A3B44F8F8C28.jpeg
    DBD10AFB-49B9-49BD-847C-A3B44F8F8C28.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 5
  • 7EA0D50D-ABE5-4E5B-8633-2ACA67FBAAE4.jpeg
    7EA0D50D-ABE5-4E5B-8633-2ACA67FBAAE4.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 2AD0803D-65D3-4BF9-962B-988029E3B7D0.jpeg
    2AD0803D-65D3-4BF9-962B-988029E3B7D0.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 6
  • B831932F-91BA-4197-B706-462A1ABE45CC.jpeg
    B831932F-91BA-4197-B706-462A1ABE45CC.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
You could also add Hammond SK Pro to your short list, it has a different organ engine than the XK-1c has. (XK-1c still has the older VASE III wound engine.) It has more "extra" stuff than you need, but it is still a really nice organ, probably my favorite of them. Though of course a double manual still has another appeal of its own.

Reaction score
Interesting that 3 of your 5 pictures are a form of the Crumar Mojo. I run VB3-ii in the GSi Gemini module (Mojo in a rack). The one you havent identified is HX3 (Mag organs). They don't use software, rather it is a hardware solution (FPGA). People report that the finger to ear connection is better because the latency is close to zero. I dont actually feel the latency with VB3-ii so this isn't an issue for me. the XK1-c is a sample based solution where the VB3-ii is a physical modeling solution. In the world of B3 emulations, generally but not always, physical modellng has the advantage. You never mentioned why you cant connect with the keyboard.

we practice at my bass players house and he has an SK1 which I use. If we recently gigged recently and I go to his place and use his SK1 I just cannot get comfortable with his SK1, it's like taking a step backwards somehow, in a some aspect I share your pain.

The SKPro is a leapfrog over the XK1c as well as, in my opinion, VB3-ii (Crumar Mojo). The Mojo is a great price although some (including myself) would question build quality. TBH I had to have my Gemini module rebuilt because of quality issues. Crumar has switched parts suppliers which has reduced the quality issues but if you talk to former owners who had purchased the product with parts from the original supplier there are issues. I would have to say that since I had my Gemini module rebuilt with the new parts I've had zero issues so I would recommend the newest Crumar Mojo. It really does sound fantastic. If money were no object (for me it is) I would recommend the Hammond XK5. Through a tube leslie it is , to these B3 trained ears, almost indistinguishable fro a real B3. It's not that I cant afford an XK5 (I can) its that I cant justify spending that kind of money for one. I can purchase two double manual Mojo's for the price of one single manual XK5. I cant justify that in my mind and to be honest a Mojo through the same tube leslie are close to an XK5 through the same tube leslie.

Last edited:
Reaction score
and ................. never to be heard from again.

My new policy is to not answer anyone who only has 1 post. Can't stand time wasters.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The guy's been lurking since 2018.

Give him time to get back to us.

Life gets in the way of our virtual life once in a while.

I'm still absorbing the apple migration thread and won't be back for a bit on that one.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Dilemmas!! Just been offered a great price from a local buyer for my Hammond XK1-C, I’ve never been blown away by the sound (not sure why) I can’t really “connect” with it…. I’m thinking about getting something else just for organs or maybe a few extra sounds on it, any recommendations?

I’m thinking one of these others? or don’t sell it and get a Neo Ventilator 2 for the XK1-C? it’s just one more thing to have to setup and plug in ‍♂️
Hi iv just read your question , and trust me if you get a tyros five you have a button (appart from all the presets) that says organ world it has with draw bars every conceivable sound you could get , including a sampled at blackpool exact sound of the tower ballroom " along with billions of other perfect sampled instuments, as well as on board easy multietracking recording on internal hardrive with mic input and line input that can be used all together, and mixdown so you get a polished performance, all on board , with digital quality, the voice on the mic input has its own vocoders, and seperate echo, flange , chorus, delay, reverb etc etc, it can change your voice to anything includin entire choirs,, with millions of backings you can play and record to, and adjust every single instrument to your liking, or even make your own styles from scratch, this is in my opinion the best workstation ever built , (and its better than its GENOS, replacement) but as you like organ, there is no match unless you buy a NORD stage 4, but there is no recording or mixing or backings with that I use this tyros 5 with profesional productions and have tried them all nothing comes close and you can get one on e bay for under £2000, make sure its the TYROS 5 with 76 keys "" you wont regret it . . hope this helps, Kaiwen ---- ps the leslie on board is awesome, with the original hamond switch on the screen , ""

Reaction score
Maybe check out the new XK-4 and looks like it could work as a midi controller two what with the pitch/mod wheels.

Ask a Question