send midi to pc from psr 295

Reaction score
I have y. Downloader correctly connected with the keyboard. I have registered my midi on user31 as indicated in the instruction book but the downloader cannot see it (in flash memory i guess). What i should do to move the file to pc? Thank you

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm unfamiliar with the PSR-295, but I looked at the owner's manual.

I have a PSR-E433 and PSR-E443. On those models when you record your performance to a User Song it saves the song as MIDI data in the computer's flash memory, but the song isn't saved as a MIDI file per se. To transfer the song to a computer you must first convert the recording to an SMF ("Standard MIDI File") using the keyboard's "File Control" menu, which saves the SMF to a USB thumb drive. Then to transfer the SMF to a computer you must plug the USB thumb drive into the computer and copy or move the file from the USB thumb drive to the computer's hard drive.

The Musicsoft Downloader program is more for transferring a MIDI file from the computer to the keyboard. You can also transfer the song back in the other direction (i.e., from keyboard to computer), but only if the MIDI file was originally transferred to the keyboard using the Musicsoft Downloader, because in that case the song (MIDI file) is stored in a different place in the keyboard's memory-- when you record a User Song of your own on the keyboard, the song's MIDI data goes somewhere else in memory.

Unfortunately, I don't see anything in the PSR-295's manual that mentions converting a User Song into an SMF, so I don't know whether you can do that.

However, on some models you can use the Musicsoft Downloader to copy the keyboard's "Backup" memory to your computer, and this Backup memory does include any User Songs you've recorded. But apparently there are some models that don't let you copy the keyboard's Backup memory that way. I don't know if the PSR-295's Backup memory can be copied to computer-- if it can, it should show up as a file on the Musicsoft Downloader's screen display when you look at the keyboard's "System" memory. If you can manage to copy the PSR-295's Backup to your computer, then it might be possible to extract the User Song's MIDI data from the Backup and save it to an SMF. I'm not familiar with the format of a PSR-295 Backup, but I've spent a good deal of time deciphering the format of PSR-E433 and PSR-E443 Backups, so if you can save the Backup to your computer then I might be able to help you go from there.

On the other hand, there should be two alternatives:

(1) Rather than recording your performances to the keyboard's internal memory using the keyboard's built-in song-recording functions, connect your keyboard to a computer and record your performances directly to a DAW. This is the better approach anyway, since you can edit or manipulate the recordings (MIDI data) once they're in a DAW.

(2) For any songs you've already recorded to your keyboard's internal memory, you can probably output the song to a DAW and record it. Connect the keyboard to a computer, then use the keyboard's Function menu to set the "SongOut" function to "On." Make sure the DAW is set up to accept and record MIDI input from the keyboard, then play back the User Song-- this should transmit the song's MIDI data to the DAW so it can be recorded.

Edit: In looking further at the PSR-295's manual, I see a reference to a "BulkSend" function on page 64. It sounds like this might also be used to send the User Song data to a computer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I think is better to register directly on pc. I use cool edit pro or audacity. How can i play keyboard registering on pc? I mean, how can i select the input data not from microphone but from keyboard?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you want to record directly on your computer, there are basically two routes you can take:

(1) Record the audio of your performance to Audacity. I've never recorded to Audacity, but there are probably people here who are experienced with Audacity who can help you-- otherwise, I've already got it installed on my computer (I just haven't used it yet), so I might be able to post some very basic guidelines later.

(2) Record the MIDI data of your performance to Cool Edit Pro. I've never used Cool Edit Pro, either, but I've just installed the trial version of 2.1-- so again, I might be able to post some very basic guidelines later.

Note that option (2) is good if you want to be able to edit the MIDI data afterward, such as to correct bad notes, fix timing mistakes, and so forth-- but if your goal is to create an audio recording of your performance, you'll eventually need to convert the MIDI recording into an audio recording, either by playing it back through your keyboard and recording your keyboard's audio output, or by playing it back using virtual instruments in your DAW and recording the audio output.

By the way, which OS are you using? I presume Windows-- but if so, which version?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually if he wants to record simple two track audio to his computer any WAV recording program will do. Including the Soundrec that ships with windows.

Then all he has to do is use a converter program like LAME to convert it to MP3.

Likewise if he wants to record multitrack MIDI data there are tons of freeware and commercial DAWs out there.

One good Freeware DAW is Anvil Studio.

As for commercial DAWs I use Cakewalk Music Creator 5 myself, though version 6 is out and it can record both audio and MIDI and it's very reasonably priced below $40.

Others are Steinberg's Cubase and Reaper and Sibelius.

Reaper is another shareware product which actually the trial version never expires.

For that matter simply do a google search on shareware or freeware DAW or MIDI sequencer and you will find over a hundred programs out there with all sorts of licensing schemes.

Gary

Reaction score
I have windows 7. Cool edit do nit recognise the keyboard. If i download anvil can i connect keyboard with usb and register what i play?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If your computer is not recognizing the Yamaha drivers it won't matter what DAW software you try.

Yamaha has an 8 page guide devoted simply to installing their lousy drivers.

Read thru it and make certain you haven't fouled up somewhere.

Also make certain you are using the correct 32 bit or 64 bit drivers for your system.

Attachments

• umd_en_ig_M0.pdf
    531.8 KB · Views: 864

Ask a Question