Separate LH and RH MIDI out? DGX-670

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently came across someone who posted some MIDI files for a performance and each hand was separated. I hadn't come across that before and while I can see someone copying the left hand into another MIDI event in a DAW, I was wondering if it can be broadcasted out that way if your keyboard has a split keyboard function? Or perhaps it's done in a more automated feature of a DAW. I use Cubase 12.

Cheers

Reaction score
Assuming that by "separated" you mean they are playing different sounds, that's typically done by sending them to different MIDI channels.

Reaction score
Assuming that by "separated" you mean they are playing different sounds, that's typically done by sending them to different MIDI channels.
Hi, thanks for the reply. :)

No it was a piano piece. I've never done anything in Cubase's score section but I think it can separate the treble and bass clef, then make them separate MIDI channels. Something about exploding staves... lol

Reaction score
Hmm. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. If the MIDI file has 2 parts (regardless of what each part is comprised of), the DGX-670 should be able to play it. The DGX supports multi-timbral playback of up to 16 Parts. Most often, the different parts (on different MIDI channels) have different sounds, but there's no reason someone couldn't put the same sound on two channels (though I'm not sure what the benefit would be of putting the left and right hand parts on different channels, if they're playing the same sound).

Reaction score
I'm not sure either as both MIDI tracks are being being played by the same piano. It happens to be a DGX. I was wondering if the Yamaha was sending two different MIDI tracks out as a function of having a split keyboard function.

Digging around in the Yamaha manual I found this.

"Determines which MIDI channel in the Song data is used for the left-hand/right-hand part. This setting returns to Auto when a different Song is selected.

• Auto: The MIDI channels in the Song data for the right- and left-hand parts are assigned automatically—setting each part to the channel which has been specified at the Part Channel on the Setting page of the Song Setting display
    (page 50).
  • 1–16: Assigns the specified MIDI channel (1–16) to each of the left- and right- hand parts.
  • Off (Left Ch only): Assigns no channel to the left-hand part. This disables dis- play of the left-hand key range."

If I understand that correctly it looks like you can set, or have it set, different channels from the score editing functions, although the screen on the DGX isn't very big to work with and I don't think Yamaha has a dedicated app for it. That would be nice. At any rate Cubase can explode a MIDI channel into multiples.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, you can transmit the LH and RH notes on separate MIDI channels, but it depends on a couple of things.

Set the split point where you want the division between the LH and the RH to be-- for instance, at Middle C.

If you want the LH and RH to sound as though you're playing just one instrument, set the LH and RH voices to the same sound and sound settings.

You'll need to make sure you play the LH notes to the left of the split point and play the RH notes to the right of the split point, since the keyboard has no way to tell which hands you're actually using to play any of the notes. For instance, if the composition calls for reaching your LH across your RH to play some notes above your RH, or vice versa, the notes will still be transmitted on whichever channels have been assigned to the L and R sides of the split point.

If for some reason you need the LH and RH parts to overlap a bit, such as allowing the LH part to include notes in the octave above Middle C while simultaneously allowing the RH part to include notes in the octave below Middle C, you could shift the LH voice up an octave and shift the RH voice down an octave, or something along those lines. However, doing so would mean you'd need to compensate by spacing your hands further apart than normal, which might be awkward at best and very disorienting at worst.

Addendum: On the other hand, if you're simply playing back a MIDI file on the keyboard, the same channels used in the MIDI file will be used to transmit the notes over MIDI OUT, regardless of how the split point is set for the notes you're playing yourself.

Ask a Question