Separate music and voice in audacity

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Do you mean you want to filter out the vocal part, leaving just the music?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Okay, I was just checking. I'm not that familiar with Audacity, but I don't think it can do that on its own-- I might be wrong about that-- although I think you can use plug-ins with Audacity, and there might be a plug-in that can do it.

Reaction score
I use Audacity but have not tried myself to do what you want to do.

A Google search gives results that link to videos showing how.

This is one, which I have not watched btw.

Reaction score
Have you tried letting the PSR-E463 do it for you? See Using the Melody Supressor half way down the right hand column on Page 46 of the manual. Just connect your audio source (MP3 player, phone, tablet, etc.) to the PSR-E463's Aux In jack and follow the instructions. I would say, it should be as good as Audacity, but from my experience with these things (Center Channel Cancellors, Voice Removers, etc.), it would probably be more accurate to say that the PSR-E463's Melody Supressor probably won't be any worse than Audacity's. They really don't remove or cancel anything. They just reduce its level, but you can usually still here it plainly. They assume that the signal to be reduced has been panned to exactly dead center in the stereo field of the original recording. If that is not correct, then the residual signal that was not reduced is louder still. Those that use filtering to remove the 0-4KHz human voice range, also remove those same audio frequencies from the background music (sound) that you want to keep, so your once high quality/high def audio signal will come away with a 0-4KHz hole in its frequency spectrum. You won't have any low end bass below 4KHz. Combining Center Channel Supression with filtering can help this a little bit, but the closer the bass frequencies are to the center of the stereo field, the more of them will be lost. This stuff is just not as "magic" as it is uaually hyped to be. Just forwarning you, so that if this is the first time you have tried this, you don't come away thinking that there is something wrong with your procedure or equipment, when the results don't sound as good as you thought they would.

Last edited:

Ask a Question