Setting up DS61 for a specific song process, sanity check

Oogie Wa Wa

Nate, bass and keys for The Feds Band
Reaction score
I'm tackling Radar Love by Golden Earring as the most epic song in my final effort to get the DS going with our 3-piece band, and retire the old Casio. Finally getting all the pieces together, it's been a long, steep learning curve for an old bass player!

I'm playing some forms of bass guitar and everything but the guitar and drums, basically. My bass part will be panned mostly left to the bass amp, the rest on the right to the PA.

I want it to sound really good, as close to the recording as possible; things haven't been so far, obviously, although we sound much much better than just drums, bass and guitar. And it looks like I'll need: the bass guitar part, a weird little soft synth part, some sawtooth synth lead with a fast portamento, a not-so-bright horn section (fitting, lol,) and a trumpet.

So here is my plan below for how to set this song up. DOES THIS MAKE SENSE??? Anything I'm missing? Anything I won't be able to do? This is by far the most complicated thing I've done up until now. Thank you so much for any help and advice I can get!!!

----------------------------------------

Setup for Radar Love on Juno DS61

Modify* = adjust Cutoff, Reasonance, Reverb, etc.

Work with Patches:
Find Horns 1, a "deep" horn section? Pan Right. Modify* Patch, save as User Patch (Write)
Find Horn 2, a trumpet? Pan Right. Modify* Patch, save
Find Synth Lead 1, Pan Right, Modify* Patch including adding Portamento, save (or is that in the Performance?)
Find Eerie little Synth, no Pan. Modify* Patch, save
Find Bass guitar Patch, very similar to my bass guitar; actually already have a User Patch, Panned Left

Build Performace:
Horns 1 assigned to Part 1, KBD ON
Bass to Part 2, KBD ON
Horn 2 to Part 3, KBD OFF
Synth to Part 4, KBD ON
Eerie Synth, Part 5, KBD ON

Key Range for Bass, far left octave
Key Range for Synth Lead 1, top two octaves, (bottom at F#)
Key Range for Horns 1, 2nd and 3d octave, plus up to E
Key Range for Horn 2, 2nd and 3rd octave up to that E
Key Range for Eerie Synth, same as Synth Lead 1 (or less)

V-Sens for Synth Lead 1 High (60?), play hard (Velocity sensitivity)
V-Sens for Eerie Synth Low (-60?), play soft

Hold Pedal OFF for BASS, all else ON
Possibly adjust Decay and Release for horns and Synth Lead?

Save Performance

Save Performance to Favorite X-X

PLAYING live:

Load Favorite
Play the first portion all on the Bass Guitar; intro, verses, chorus.
Play Key Bass on the instrumental section with the drummer, the repeating riff; play with it a little
Play SOFTLY the short Eerie Synth after drum/bass before the guitar work
Play Bass and HARD on the Synth Lead on the portamento ramp up thing
Play Bass and Horns 1 on the doubling part with the guitar, bring Horn 2 on Pad 3 in and out as needed, leaving Pad 3 ON
Back to Bass Guitar for verses and chorus
Ending: Key Bass riff, HOLD pedal ON, Synth Lead 1 notes, Horns 1 / Horn 2 notes; and BAM, hit every F# I can at once
END
--------------------------------

Well? It might help if you listen to the song while reading the last part. Thanks again for even reading all this!

Ask a Question