setting up keyboard to receive Midi

Reaction score
I want to run my Yamaha PSR with a art - ecc guitar signal processor for added sound effects, but I haven't been able to get anybody just to tell me what the keyboard needs to be set to receive MIDI, it's been mind-boggling now do I need to buy another controller that I can do but does anybody know what setup you have to have on your keyboard to receive midi. Thanks and have a great day judd

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'll bite.

First off. What model PSR? It makes a difference.

Secondly. Exactly what do you wish to accomplish with MIDI other than "simply wanting to have it?"

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi I have the psr - 160 which takes midi. Out of this one particular I would like to get Bells whistles chimes synth bass pan flute strings and some brass.

Thanks Gary
JUDD

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just to clarify.

Do you want to hook it up to your computer to play MIDI files or compose MIDI songs or do you already own another MIDI device and do you want to use it as a controller or as a sound module to play MIDI sequences from other devices?

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Are you trying to send and receive MIDI with the PSR, or are you trying to send the PSR's audio output to the signal processor to apply effects to it?

If the latter, I think you need to run a 1/4" audio cable from the PHONES/OUTPUT jack of the keyboard to the input jack of the signal processor.

A MIDI cable would be useful for connecting the PSR to another device with MIDI ports, including a USB audio interface that has MIDI ports.

And a USB-MIDI adapter would be useful for connecting the PSR to a computer if you aren't using an audio interface.

Reaction score
Just to clarify.

Do you want to hook it up to your computer to play MIDI files or compose MIDI songs or do you already own another MIDI device and do you want to use it as a controller or as a sound module to play MIDI sequences from other devices?

Gary ;)

No let me explain I want to do all this live. I want to run to keyboard with my art - ecc guitar signal processor if I need to buy more equipment to run the keyboard I'm willing to do that but what I'd like to know is how to set the keyboard to receive MIDI what has to be turned off or on

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Are you trying to send and receive MIDI with the PSR, or are you trying to send the PSR's audio output to the signal processor to apply effects to it?

If the latter, I think you need to run a 1/4" audio cable from the PHONES/OUTPUT jack of the keyboard to the input jack of the signal processor.

A MIDI cable would be useful for connecting the PSR to another device with MIDI ports, including a USB audio interface that has MIDI ports.

And a USB-MIDI adapter would be useful for connecting the PSR to a computer if you aren't using an audio interface.

I'm trying to figure out how to run the keyboard from my art - ecc guitar signal processor no computer at this time I want to use the Yamaha PSR 160 for effects chimes, bells, strings, synth sound etc
Thanks Judd

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In that case you'll only need a single MIDI cable running from the processor to the PSR.

As for activating MIDI IN it's usually a menu item buried somewhere in the Global or System or MIDI or whatever submenu of most keyboards.

I'm sure Michael will scour the manuals and give you an exact series of keypresses shortly. He's the Yamaha PSR guy around here. :)

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'm still not sure I understand how the signal processor fits into the picture:

- Keyboard outputting to the signal processor's input?
- Or signal processor outputting to the keyboard's input?

If the former, you want to run an audio cable from the keyboard to the signal processor.

If the latter, I don't understand what you're trying to do.

I guess it would help if I knew exactly what model of signal processor you're talking about, so I can look it up online and see what its capabilities are, because right now I'm picturing it as an effects pedal that's used to process the audio from an electric guitar or other instrument before it goes to an amp. And if that's the case then I assume you want the keyboard's audio to go to the processor.

But if you're talking about some sort of device that can transmit MIDI messages, and you want to use it to trigger certain sounds from the keyboard, then you'll need to program the processor to send specific MIDI messages to the keyboard for triggering specific sounds.

Reaction score
I'm still not sure I understand how the signal processor fits into the picture:

- Keyboard outputting to the signal processor's input?
- Or signal processor outputting to the keyboard's input?

If the former, you want to run an audio cable from the keyboard to the signal processor.

If the latter, I don't understand what you're trying to do.

I guess it would help if I knew exactly what model of signal processor you're talking about, so I can look it up online and see what its capabilities are, because right now I'm picturing it as an effects pedal that's used to process the audio from an electric guitar or other instrument before it goes to an amp. And if that's the case then I assume you want the keyboard's audio to go to the processor.

But if you're talking about some sort of device that can transmit MIDI messages, and you want to use it to trigger certain sounds from the keyboard, then you'll need to program the processor to send specific MIDI messages to the keyboard for triggering specific sounds.

I am playing through a art - ecc which has a midi In-N-Out and I want to play the Yamaha PSR 160 with the art I am calling it a processor maybe that's the wrong term
Ty for time
Judd

Reaction score
In that case you'll only need a single MIDI cable running from the processor to the PSR.

As for activating MIDI IN it's usually a menu item buried somewhere in the Global or System or MIDI or whatever submenu of most keyboards.

I'm sure Michael will scour the manuals and give you an exact series of keypresses shortly. He's the Yamaha PSR guy around here. :)

Gary ;)

Ty for your time
Judd

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, you may also have to dig into the menus of your processor to enable MIDI out as well.

Check your user manuals which usually have a dedicated chapter on enabling and using MIDI functions.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I'm still confused as to what the MIDI is supposed to do in the signal processor. Generally, MIDI for a signal processor is a way to change the controls from a foot pedal or something similar, not a way to get the sound into the box.

Or am I missing something?

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I was going by his original post, which talked about additional sound effects using the signal processor. That's why I'm confused about the MIDI reference.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I did finally find the manual the other evening, but I'm in the middle of traveling and haven't had a chance to review it yet. I did see that it can send program changes, but I didn't see if it can send other types of events-- notably, Note events :).

Ask a Question