Setting up Yamaha P80 into a Tascam US-224 through MIDI

Reaction score
I am setting up my piano for the first time to run into my Cubase program. Do I need to have both MIDI in and out connected? I only have one cable so I went MIDI out of the P80 into MIDI in with The US-224. I get a blink on the Tascam when I turn the Yamaha on, but it doesn't light up when I play any notes. I have the host select set to MIDI. I think I need to get this right before I even try getting the Cubase reading the signal. Which it already is selected to MIDI to with the control surface of the US-224. Please help.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To run a MIDI keyboard with a computer based DAW program, you definitely need both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT connected at the same time.

This is because when you play a note, it turns off MIDI local control on the keyboard and accepts the incoming MIDI signal from the keyboard controller and then echoes the note back to the keyboard or module to actually play the note.

Also be advised that MIDI IN on the keyboard connects to MIDI OUT on the computer and vice versa. The same rule applies to all interconnected MIDI devices.

http://www.midi.org/

http://indra.com/~cliffcan/01midiba.htm

Gary

Reaction score
I have midi ins and outs on the keyboard and the tascam control surface. The tascam then goes to computer via USB. So I still need both ins and outs connected? I am not looking for sound back to keyboard really. I just want it into the studio recording. Thanks for your help in this. I have done a lot of DAW recording but have never messed with midi connections. So please pardon my novice knowledge in this. If I do in fact only use the one cord, I need to reverse it to midi in on keyboard to midi out on control surface?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A MIDI cable costs about $8 at a music store. Yes you need two of them and yes IN connects to OUT and OUT connects to IN.

Ask a Question