Setting up Yamaha PSR-E453 problem

Reaction score
Hi Guys new here as you can tell - first post. I recently purchased the Yamaha E453 and have a problem I cant solve. Read the manual over and over thinking I obviously missed something. When I select ACMP (left of the split point) and then try to play a melody with the right hand, it changes the notes in the left hand. I have watched vids on youtube and cant see that they are doing anything different to me, but obviously they are. is there something I need to press other the ACMP to get the right hand area of the keyboard to work using individual keys and not alter the left hand chords. Any help appreciated, thanks
Don

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
ACMP is normally used either to play along to a Style (if you start the accompaniment), or to play chords with the left hand using easy chord fingering (if you turn on the accompaniment but stop it).

If you want to play using two voices, one with the right hand and the other with the left hand (but not using the style or easy chord features), leave ACMP turned off but turn on SPLIT.

There is also a HARMONY feature that has a number of different settings, and IIRC some of the settings (or Harmony Types) will add notes to the right hand based on what chords you're playing with the left hand. So unless you meant to use the HARMONY feature, make sure it's turned off.

Some of the buttons light up to indicate which mode you're in (SONG, STYLE, PATTERN, VOICE), but for the other buttons you need to check the LCD screen display to see whether a particular feature is turned on (DUAL, SPLIT, HARMONY, ARPEGGIO, ACCOMPANIMENT, etc.).

Reaction score
SeaGtgruff, thanks for the reply, your first couple of lines are where my problem is. I take it that I cant get the accompaniment unless I activate ACMP and use the one finger chord system. That's okay I don't have a problem with that, my problem is that when I do and I try to play melody with my right hand it changes the notes in the one finger chord of my left. For example, Say I have "c" chord in my left hand, and I play "a" or "b" or whatever, that changes the "c" chord to that note, "a" or "b" or whatever. What I need to know is why is changing the chord when I try to play a melody.
The manual doesn't say anything other than "select a style" > Press ACMP > Press "sync/start" > Play a chord in the Auto Accom area to start, play a melody with the right hand. It doesn't happen as I've said above.
Very frustrating.
Don

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Don,
I also have a yamaha and play it with ACMP on. This feature allows you to add chords with the left hand to compliment your performance.
Imagine your keyboard as a whole band. You the leader of the band and you take control. You are playing the lead with your right hand. The ACMP is the bass, the drums and the rhythm. You are the lead instrument. You play your melody with the right hand on the right side of the split point. In this set up (once you activate ACMP) you cannot play melody with your left hand on the left side of the split.
, Say I have "c" chord in my left hand, and I play "a" or "b" or whatever, that changes the "c" chord to that note, "a" or "b" or whatever. What I need to know is why is changing the chord when I try to play a melody.
Each time you change a note on the left side you are in fact changing the chord. Play "a" and you will get an "a" chord. Play "b" and you will get a "b" chord. These are not melody keys. Play your melody on the right side of the split only. You can change the split point to move more to the left if you want. But if you play chords with 3 or 4 fingers then it is better to have one and a half octaves from C up to F#. If you play single finger chords then maybe you can move the split a little to the left giving you more keys for your melody.
Hope that clears it for you.
Cheers ray

Reaction score
Hi Ray, thanks for your help. I'm having a bit of a problem explaining my problem. If I have ACMP on and I play say C with my left hand left of the split (I have sync on so it kicks in), all good at this point, then I try to add the melody with my right hand right of the split, the moment I hit a key with my right hand it changes the chord being played left of the split to the same key - I can't play a melody and it doesn't matter whether I use single finger or fingered chords. I've watched Peter Bartmanns on Youtube giving a demo of the single finger and fingered chords trying to see what I am missing - without success, I do what appears to be the same procedure. Of course he doesn't show what setup he has, but I think that's pretty obvious.
I hope this makes sense.
Regards
Don

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Your explanation of your problem makes sense. What is happening makes no sense. Seems like a glitch in the system.
Is the unit new? Under warranty?
Or
Was there a previous owner who may have programmed it this way? if so try doing a factory reset. May be an easy fix for you. Try that. No harm done except you will lose any of you own preset programs. But you should get it back to scratch at least.
Good luck ray.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, a factory reset may help-- that's probably called "CLEAR BACKUP" or something like that in the manual. It doesn't sound like normal behavior at all.

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks, looks like that may be the answer. The keyboard is brand new, only two months old so yes still under warranty.
Just did the "clear backup" and all good, working perfectly now. Thanks very much for taking the time to help.
Regards
Don

Ask a Question