Setup for keyboard and external metronome to the same headphones

Reaction score
Hi all.
I would like to ask some suggestions about a particular issue I have.
I own an old but still well working Yamaha PSR-520. The keyboard has some sort of internal metronome, but is quite awkard to use it simply for learning, without all the fancy accompaniment. Furthermore the metronome volume is not adjustable, so it becomes annoying quite fast.
So I am thinking to buying an external metronome, and this is the simple part.
The problem is that I often play during late evening and night at home, so I almost always use a pair of headphones.
Now the question is: is there a simple method to send both the keyboard and metronome signals to the same pair of headphones? Do I need to buy a real mixer or there is a simpler solution?
Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Easiest way to do it is a Behringer 502 Mixer for $45.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502...402598192&sr=8-1&keywords=behringer+502+mixer

Plus, as a bonus, if a buddy comes over with a Bass or a Guitar it's easy enough to plug in and jam.

The only other way to do it simply would be if your PSR has an Audio IN jack you could plug the metronome into.

Otherwise the 502 is your best bet. If you shop around on craigslist or ebay you might even be able to pick one up for under $20.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just checked the PSR's manual online. No audio IN jack so you're pretty much stuck buying the mixer.

Reaction score
Hi Happyrat1,
thank you very much for the fast answer.
You are probably right with the need for the mixer, and also your suggestion about the Xenyx seems really valid.
Just one more question: do you prefer the Xenyx to the smaller and cheaper Behringer MX400 because this latter only allows mono inputs and output or there are also other reasons?
Thanks a lot.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally I use a Behringer 1202 FX and have no direct experience with the 502 or the MX400.

My experience though has always been to spend a little extra and buy something with excess capacity because you never know when you'll need it. Who knows? Perhaps you'll pick up something like an Electribe or Alesis Drum machine in the future or perhaps get a second keyboard.

It's always wise to invest in the next tier up if you plan to stick with music for the long haul :)

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks, probably the 502 is the best solution for me at present, I will go for it.

Ask a Question