Sheet Music REST / STAND

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
My keyboard sheet music REST or STAND (whatever you call it) has become very loose and falls off! :eek:
It falls backwards out of its housing slots.
I worked out where the problem is . . The main housing (slots) of the KEYBOARD has cracks where the REST locks in.
I am guessing it is old age or maybe has been overloaded too many times with heavy music books.

I took a couple of snaps . . . can you see the cracks?
Any clues how to fix?

I reckon I will not get many responses, however thanks in advance for even reading this to this point.
IMG_4824.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4828.JPG
    IMG_4828.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4827.JPG
    IMG_4827.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
2 options come to mind...

Get a piece of stiff plastic (or a thin strip of 3/8" plywood painted black) that is longer than the cracks by 2" or 3" on both sides; and then superglue it to the case to provide support for the cracked area.

OR -- since you use heavy music books...

"Carefully" screw (use very short screws! and make sure there are no components where the screws go in!) a 90-degree corner bracket (1.5"x1.5" or 2"x2") to the back of the case to support the music rest when it's in position. One leg of the bracket goes down from each cracked area, the other leg sticks out horizontally, and is positioned so the music rack rests solidly upon it.

Good luck.

Old No7

Reaction score
"Carefully" screw (use very short screws! and make sure there are no components where the screws go in!)
My guitar player uses a boutique amp (Fuchs). one of the screws in his handle came loose (stripped) and he decided to go to the hardware store, bought the next size up (which turned out to be also 1/8" longer than the old screw) and screw it in. Fixed! Takes it to the gig that night and his amp has zero output; after fiddling with it for 30 minutes determined it was dead and had his wife retrieve his backup (Blackstar) to get through the gig. He takes it to the shop, they told him that the screw's excessive length (1/8" longer than the old screw) touched a circuit board inside the amp and grounded it out. So 1/8" longer in depth caused an amp outage. So morale of the story, as Old No7 points out above, make sure there are no components where the screws go in.....

Reaction score
Ray

Miliputty, its an epoxy, look on Amazon for it and there is a black version of it. Its a two pack material, mix equal quantities (wear silicon gloves to handle) by kneading the parts together for a few minutes then mould it to the breakages and leave to cure. It costs about £6 here in England

Or

My keyboard has no place for a music rest so my solution was a second tier for my stand plus a piece of board from my local DIY store.

The music rest is a table top one by Tiger bought off Amazon, the image shows the rear of the stand and the tilt adjustment. Prior to changing my stand I just had a shelf attached to the wall on which the music rest stood.

Or

A separate music stand as you see in an orchestra, there are extra heavy duty versions available.

6FD7938D-F94C-4DFC-A055-E22156AF7C53.jpeg
21866773-60F6-4DE6-A190-3063F8426187.jpeg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Visit an auto parts store and buy a fibreglass bodyfiller patch kit.

It won't look pretty but it will never crack there again.

Reaction score
In 40+ years, I have never used the attachable keyboard stands. Manhasset music stands - and hey, they come in colors now ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions offered.
Every idea has merits and I can see would solve my problem. I am giving consideration to all ideas.
Sincere thanks indeed.
I might also consider constructing a separate adjustable bracket for mounting my REST.
A Summer holidays project is in the design stages . . Ha Ha . . Watch this space.

Reaction score
If the root cause of the problem is the weight and size of the sheet music books then, if you have the space, why not simply buy a strong music stand as mentioned above.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Take the plunge Ray, treat yourself to a new SX900.
That would be nice :)
A friend of mine has one and they are very sophisticated instruments. They have many features and sound superb. However for au$ 2 1/2 G . . Not worth it. The styles and voices are exactly the same as my old model S650. Albeit a few newer ones.
My intention is to repair my current old faithful second hand 11 year old sexy beast as it is.
I have collected all the ideas offered. I have a plan . . Need to buy some supplies.
Thanks.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
So fixed the problem!
I took an old plastic 12" RULE.
I cut out a couple of tabs / brackets with a Hack Saw and bonded to the bottom of the REST.
Then I made a couple more Fins to the profile of the gap between the Tabs and the Keyboard. I bonded these to the Tabs.
I used a Silicon Sealant for the job.
Overall benefits . .
The Keyboard is not compromised in any way. No drilling into the back or messy Epoxy.
The music REST is now more sturdy than the original fitting.
Weight pressure is lifted off the fractured slots.
Cost virtually nothing but a couple of smears of Silicant (less than $1 worth.
Labour of love.

Ray

Attachments

• IMG_4831.JPG
    IMG_4831.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 1671425787248.png
    1671425787248.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 16

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The silicone sealant will gradually deteriorate, lose adhesion, then catastrophic failure within the year, depending on how heavy the load.

Engineering 101 Lab grade D-

:D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question