Should I buy a piano with light up keys?

Reaction score
Hi, for learning to play the piano, I found light-up keys may help me solve the problem of reading music. But I'm not sure whether is a good way to learn...give me some ideas pls!!!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I doubt Billy Joel , or Elton John, ever used light-up keys. I recommend that you pass on the lights and actually learn to read and play with written music. Best, Don aka B3maniac

Reaction score
Welcome.

If you are eight years old then yes lighted keys could be fun.

If, on the other hand you are a teenager or adult who is serious about learning to play piano then absolutely do not buy a kids keyboard.

Buy a proper digital piano with hammer action keys such as a Roland FP 30X, Yamaha P125, Kawai ES 110, or a Casio CDP S350.

Or if you have a higher budget then look at a Yamaha DGX670, Korg EX 20 or Casio PX S 3000.

Reaction score
If you are eight years old then yes lighted keys could be fun.

If, on the other hand you are a teenager or adult who is serious about learning to play piano then absolutely do not buy a kids keyboard.

Buy a proper digital piano with hammer action keys such as a Roland FP 30X, Yamaha P125, Kawai ES 110, or a Casio CDP S350.

Or if you have a higher budget then look at a Yamaha DGX670, Korg EX 20 or Casio PX S 3000.
+1 to that!

Don't go for the gimmick if you are serious about learning how to play.

The time & effort you put into playing the piano -- not the toy -- will pay off down the road.

By the way, the Roland FP30 or 30X is a great board! I like the feel of the keys (more "ivory like") than the Yamaha plastic-ey (slippery) keys.

Old No7

Reaction score
I found Casio LK-S450 looks great at first, but after a few searches, Yamaha YDP-164 looks better! So a wonderful appearance, but TOOOO expensive, I'm not sure I can make the most of it......I also got a look at a piano that holds both the appearance of YDP & light-up features of Casio, but I had never even heard of the brand THEONE...I still prefer to choose well-known brands. Which of these three brands should I choose...o_O

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
If you can find a used Yamaha PSR 4xx or 3xx (_not_ 2xx), that might work for you.

The keys are not "weighted", and not lighted (a useless feature IMHO).

There are useful reviews by Jeremy See on Youtube.com of low-price keyboards.
. Charles

Reaction score
I think light up key could be better for beginner who is already 20+, not suitable for kids

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hmm. Sounds gimmicky. Other than as a cool light display for a studio, it seems like it would be more distracting than anything else when you're playing.
I'd go with a good hammer action.

Ask a Question