Sight Reading Book

Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a sight reading book for keyboard for an adult who is an absolute beginner.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're asking for a book to teach you how to read music?

What you need is a book on music theory.

This will give you the basic tools to read music. Then invest in a few piano song books and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!

One such book which is very thorough and very well written is this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Music-Theory-4th-ed/dp/1492831638

https://corcoranhighschoolmusic.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/2/8/29287141/basicmusictheorytextbook.pdf

This book will give you a solid grounding in notation and the principles of harmony and rhythm as well.

After reading through it you will have a solid grasp of what sheet music is all about. After that all you need to do is practice.

I'd also suggest you invest in a private tutor if you have any difficulty with the trickier bits as well as to nip any bad habits in the bud.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome.

You could save yourself a few dollars by searching on Youtube for Michael New.

He has a whole host of free video tutorials on sight reading, music theory and practical exercises.

Once you have the basics of music theory, note durations, notation, repeats, key signatures etc and can understand the notation terms like dal segno al fine then its practice, practice, practice etc.
Try the following:-

Pick up some new sheet music,

Look at it,

Study it in your head,

Play the notes in your head,

Think about what notes you are going to play with what finger,

Take time doing the above,

Play the song on your keyboard at a slow tempo,

Play it again,

Play it again.
Now take a break, do something different, then pick up some new sheet music and repeat.

Do not repeat the exercise using the same sheet music, each time you do the exercise use new music.

Constant repeating the same piece of music will get you playing it faster but you are just learning the song and muscle memory comes into play.

Its the performing the exercise on a new piece of music that will get you to sight read better and faster.

Practice, practice, practice........ that means its now time for me to turn on my Keyboard and get on with my first 15 minute practice session of my day.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I can also recommend sightreadingfactory.com as a place for practice. Michael New is definitely the best on Youtube, however he only has three videos so far about sight reading as far as I remember, the rest is more about music theory, but these are great (and essential) as well.

Ask a Question