Sight reading

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Study the score first, do not play any notes, just imagine you are playing a virtual instrument.

Play the score, slowly, ignoring any errors, concentrate on accuracy and timing.

Play the same score no more than three times before moving on.

Do the same for the next score.

The idea is you are reading the score at a pace you can handle, the speed will increase in time.

What you do not want to do is learn the muscle memory of each song, that is not learning to read the score effectively.

Practice and more practice, little and often.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm unable to play music while reading it, mainly from lack of practice I suppose, but also because I need to keep my eyes on what my hands are doing on the keyboard.

And I can read music okay, but unless the notes are marked with accidentals I'm likely to play a natural when a given note is supposed to be flat or sharp.

So what I do is read the music as slowly as needed while learning to play the song, but then I play from memory as much as possible.

Ad

Advertisements

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I need to keep my eyes on what my hands are doing on the keyboard.
My eyes are fixed to the sheet music.
My fingers seem to know where to go. So totally the opposite to SeaGt.
Occassionaly throughout the piece I glance down to the keybed especially if there is a huge step say displacing the hand to a new octave.
I find if I look at the keypad too long I tend to lose my place on the sheet.
So my suggestion to paul is practise playing without looking at the keys so that your brain can focus on the sheet music.
struggles to read ahead while playing ?
Reading in conjunction with playing rather than reading ahead would be my suggestion.

Play play play often. Muscle memory as biggles says works for me. It developed for me to my astonishment over a few years.
Makes playing music such a pleasure.
Ray

Ask a Question