Simple Midi Software

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some very simple midi software. I just want to press a key and hear the note. That simple.

I have Piano Suit Primer, but the sound lags behind by about a second after I press a key. I also have Synthesia, which does not suffer from this problem, however the sound output is quiet (I have checked the software for volume controls, could not find any). Since I am using video tutorials and copying midi examples I have to keep altering the sound levels on each to avoid blasting my ear drums. You also have to choose a song and click on several buttons to get to hear the keyboard, which is a bit annoying.

Not sure if this matters but I am using the m-audio keystation 88es (as was recommended to me on here :)), windows 7 32bit and a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card.

Thanks

Reaction score
I'm not actually familiar with either of those terms. I just want to be able to hear my keyboard when I press a key. I don't need any backing tracks, effects or the ability to record.

Reaction score
Thanks Y man, Chainer was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks also to YeahDolt for the suggestion, though I could not get any sound output from Anvil.

Reaction score
The fastest and lighter i found is this: (freeware)
VMPK. Virtual Midi Piano Keyboard

Takes about 2.5 secs to start in my dualcore...

Ask a Question