Simplest Android tablet strings for live performance?

M

Mike C.

I've searched for some nights through the forum and not found much specific information so I am sorry if this is asked to death. If it is, then just direct me to those threads, and delete this with my apologies.

I've been gigging for a lonnnnng time, but only very rarely delved into MIDI because generally I play fairly straight-ahead jazz, but recently have had to use a Yamaha P125 (not A) which I actually enjoy using a lot. However, it does not let me use splits AND layers at the same time. Previously I used a Yamaha P140 which allowed me a split left bass and right piano with string pad when I wanted it. The P125 says "no" to that, even using the SmartPianist app (not that I've found at any rate, though even if it did let me, the onboard strings on the P125 leave a lot to be desired).

Researching a while now, I know I should be able to find a VST solution, but I'm kinda slow and old and flailing a bit. :) What would be the best way to add a nice string bed using my (very new) Android tablet? Do I *need* to get a full-fledged DAW, or is there a simpler standalone solution that actually SOUNDS decent? The demos for some of the Pianobox-type USB/MIDI modules really do NOT fill me with much confidence where strings are concerned, some of them sound pretty toyish. Some of the heftier MIDI modules (Roland, for example) really sound incredible but are FAR more than I need. I am not needing recording features or in-depth workstation/arranging or anything too involved, just wanting to sweeten ballads and things on my live gigs. Free, not free, all good, just something that works.

I appreciate any input (or output or thru.) :)

Mike C.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Or buy a workstation that can handle at least 4 layers.

Roland Juno DS88 can handle 16 plus it's very affordable.

Ask a Question