Sit Down or Stand Up?

Reaction score
For me it depends. If I'm playing more intimate music, I sit with the my right side to the audience. (Most pianos are set this way in concert). If it is Rock or high energy I stand, use my keytar or both. I use and ultimate stand with quick release handles so I can move the board up and down. In some cases if I have it in a standing position and get tired, i use a bar stool. I made a holder for my sustain and rotary control pedals. IMHO, I hate a key player performing behind a stack of boards with all kinds of shit on top, you look like a Prairie Dog robot. If that is your thing,.. thats ok,. Each to their own.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you are not playing live and use a lot of sheets I'd sit.

Also I find challenging piano parts easier when sitting. Less of an issue for organ and synth. Must be a feel thing.

I have never played my KB standing up.
I was wondering if there is any benefit in standing up?
I know some Rock musos play it standing but I think most sit down.
What is better? Are there pros and cons for both or is it just a personal preference thing?
Bear in mind, I play just about 99% of everything with sheet music. Maybe that makes a difference?
Also I am not performing for anyone. So I don't need to be showy!
Looking forward to your comments and/or ideas. :)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
If you are not playing live and use a lot of sheets I'd sit.

Also I find challenging piano parts easier when sitting. Less of an issue for organ and synth. Must be a feel thing.
Thanks man!
Everything is challenging for me. I need sheet music for almost every song I play. I have close to 1000 songs now. I can' t remember them all.
I tried standing. Feels ok but I am back sitting.

Reaction score
I find that I can reach all the buttons and switches etc better when I am standing. I also find that my neck and shoulders don't get as stressed and tired when I can move around. Plus-- if I'm really "getting into" the song, I just can't seem to stand or sit still.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Wow I'm rapidly becoming amazed at all the passionate pro and con responses on this issue.

For myself I started out playing standing up because none of my equipment adjusted low enough to play comfortably with a piano stool and having short legs I find bar stools too tall and uncomfortable.

Honestly though, I don't really think it's a big deal for anyone to worry about.

Just play in whatever position feels best and don't worry what the other guy is doing.

Remember, the first thing they teach you about when you're starting out is to play in a comfortable position with the least possible stress on your wrists. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have never played my KB standing up.
I was wondering if there is any benefit in standing up?
I know some Rock musos play it standing but I think most sit down.
What is better? Are there pros and cons for both or is it just a personal preference thing?
Bear in mind, I play just about 99% of everything with sheet music. Maybe that makes a difference?
Also I am not performing for anyone. So I don't need to be showy!
Looking forward to your comments and/or ideas. :)

I use a little of both. My setup is configured for standing, but I also use a bar-stool that I can kind of "lean" my rear end on and into more of a sitting position. I feel sitting helps me position my wrists and arms better for playing the piano and solos. I like standing up during high energy songs so I can move around and add my own little energy. For the most part I'm putting a majority of my weight on my left leg while the right is working a pedal so I also like having a stool to sit on to give my legs a break now and then.

Ask a Question