Sit Down or Stand Up?

Discussion in 'Technique and Posture' started by Rayblewit, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Rayblewit

Jimmy Alber

If you're only using one keyboard and you're reading, you might as well sit and be comfortable. The main benefit to standing is stage presence, so if you're reading charts, it really wouldn't matter I suppose

Jimmy Alber, Aug 2, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. Rayblewit

Skyjumper

For me it depends. If I'm playing more intimate music, I sit with the my right side to the audience. (Most pianos are set this way in concert). If it is Rock or high energy I stand, use my keytar or both. I use and ultimate stand with quick release handles so I can move the board up and down. In some cases if I have it in a standing position and get tired, i use a bar stool. I made a holder for my sustain and rotary control pedals. IMHO, I hate a key player performing behind a stack of boards with all kinds of shit on top, you look like a Prairie Dog robot. If that is your thing,.. thats ok,. Each to their own.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Skyjumper, Aug 2, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. Rayblewit

Scradley1960

If you are not playing live and use a lot of sheets I'd sit.

Also I find challenging piano parts easier when sitting. Less of an issue for organ and synth. Must be a feel thing.

Scradley1960, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Rayblewit

Rayblewit Do you think Ray blew it?

Thanks man!
    Everything is challenging for me. I need sheet music for almost every song I play. I have close to 1000 songs now. I can' t remember them all.
    I tried standing. Feels ok but I am back sitting.

Rayblewit, Aug 2, 2016
  5. Rayblewit

sam bell

I find that I can reach all the buttons and switches etc better when I am standing. I also find that my neck and shoulders don't get as stressed and tired when I can move around. Plus-- if I'm really "getting into" the song, I just can't seem to stand or sit still.

sam bell, Aug 3, 2016
    happyrat1 likes this.
  6. Rayblewit

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

Wow I'm rapidly becoming amazed at all the passionate pro and con responses on this issue.

For myself I started out playing standing up because none of my equipment adjusted low enough to play comfortably with a piano stool and having short legs I find bar stools too tall and uncomfortable.

Honestly though, I don't really think it's a big deal for anyone to worry about.

Just play in whatever position feels best and don't worry what the other guy is doing.

Remember, the first thing they teach you about when you're starting out is to play in a comfortable position with the least possible stress on your wrists. :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Aug 4, 2016
    Becky and Rayblewit like this.
  7. Rayblewit

Bremerbnj

I use a little of both. My setup is configured for standing, but I also use a bar-stool that I can kind of "lean" my rear end on and into more of a sitting position. I feel sitting helps me position my wrists and arms better for playing the piano and solos. I like standing up during high energy songs so I can move around and add my own little energy. For the most part I'm putting a majority of my weight on my left leg while the right is working a pedal so I also like having a stool to sit on to give my legs a break now and then.

Bremerbnj, Dec 16, 2016
  8. Rayblewit

Keyboardie

For me, comfort while I play is a necessity. So I'm an avid sitter

Keyboardie, Jan 23, 2017
    1. Advertisements