Smart Chord, Dual, Harmony...each require ACMP on and a style?

Reaction score
I have a very simple version of Over the Rainbow music (I'm a beginner). I do Not find any styles that seem to work well with this song. I'm a bit surprised, but maybe I shouldn't be.

So I thought I would improve the piece by turning on Harmony, Dual, and Smart Chord. But it seems those don't work unless I turn on a style and ACMP. Given none of the styles sound compatible with this song, I seem to be stuck with the simple song. Hopefully I'm wrong about this.

Does anyone have suggestions? Or is my uneducated analysis accurate?

Last edited:
Reaction score
OtR is originally in 4/4 at 72 bpm & in C major and looking at the Style list with only the names to go by have a try using 44 Light Ballad or 94 Jazz Ballad.

I am unfamiliar with the DGX butif you have a closer look at the Manual you may also be able to mute the lower instruments and just have the Bass and Drum backing which could give you a different feel to the song.

Finding a Style to a particular song can be difficult, to get a feel for a song you could try listening to just the backing, difficult to do with Judy Garland belting out the vocals but with practice it can be done, you can hear the nuances of the backing and where the emphasis occurs. You can then search for a suitable backing.

Once you get more proficient you can then try playing it in other Styles and tempos.

Here is one if the best versions ever.

Good luck.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Dual shouldn't have anything to do with Accompaniment, since it's merely layering a second sound (Dual Voice) with the first sound (Main Voice).

There are different types of Harmony, so whether or not Accompaniment needs to be turned on will depend on which Harmony Type you pick. Specifically, Harmony Types 1 through 10, as well as Harmony Type 13, require the Accompaniment to be on; but the other Harmony Types do not.

Reaction score
@Biggles and @SeaGtGruff ... Thanks to both of you. You have contributed to my learning process, and it is much appreciated.

The information provided gives me a path to drive down and maybe bring success to my endeavor.

Ask a Question