Smart Pianist on iPad not connecting

Reaction score
Hello, I have an issue connecting my 6th Generation IPad (OS version 14.7.1). smart Pianist just does not recognise the P-125
However, I have an older iPad (iPad Air running 12.5.4) that connects to the P-125 with no problems.
Im wondering if the answer is somewhere in the6th Gen iPad settings but have no clue where to begin. Any guidance would be most appreciated. Thank you. David

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind is whether there are differences in the USB connections-- specifically, USB 2 versus USB 3. The iPad doesn't have a USB port, but Apple makes adapters to allow various types of devices to be connected to the iPad's connector port; for USB devices the adapter used to be called a Camera Connection Kit, but I think the adapter's name is a bit different for the newer iPad models. Are you using the same adapter with both iPads, or different adapters? And perhaps more importantly, are you using the same USB cable for connecting to both iPads? Do you know if it's a USB 2 or a USB 3 cable?

The other thing that comes to mind is that it might be something to do with the version of the app itself. Are the two iPads running the same version of the app, or is the newer iPad running a newer version of the app? If they are running different versions, you might need to contact Yamaha and ask them about it, in case they need to correct something in their app.

Reaction score
I had my iPad connected up via the genuine Apple Adaptor accessory that Michael quotes and Smart Pianist worked great.

Is your new iPad the Pro version with a USB C connection, if so that may be the issue and is unlikely to be resolved until Yamaha update the App.

I no longer have my P121 so cannot test it out with my new iPad Pro.

Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind is whether there are differences in the USB connections-- specifically, USB 2 versus USB 3. The iPad doesn't have a USB port, but Apple makes adapters to allow various types of devices to be connected to the iPad's connector port; for USB devices the adapter used to be called a Camera Connection Kit, but I think the adapter's name is a bit different for the newer iPad models. Are you using the same adapter with both iPads, or different adapters? And perhaps more importantly, are you using the same USB cable for connecting to both iPads? Do you know if it's a USB 2 or a USB 3 cable?

The other thing that comes to mind is that it might be something to do with the version of the app itself. Are the two iPads running the same version of the app, or is the newer iPad running a newer version of the app? If they are running different versions, you might need to contact Yamaha and ask them about it, in case they need to correct something in their app.
Thank you for this advice. I’m using the same cable and adapter for both ipads. The adapter is the “camera connector kit”. I’ve no idea what the cable is (other than it’s an old printer cable!) I’ll update both and see how I go.

App version is the same on both ipads

Thanks again for your help
Cheers
David

Reaction score
I had my iPad connected up via the genuine Apple Adaptor accessory that Michael quotes and Smart Pianist worked great.

Is your new iPad the Pro version with a USB C connection, if so that may be the issue and is unlikely to be resolved until Yamaha update the App.

I no longer have my P121 so cannot test it out with my new iPad Pro.
Thanks for your comments. I’ve ordered a USB3 Adaptor from Apple (current is USB2) and reckon this will fix the issue. Cheers. David

Reaction score

Hi again. Just a quick note to let you know that the USB3 adapter arrived yesterday and the P125 connected with no problems. Thanks again for your advice. Cheers, David

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
That's great news! I hope it will help someone else with a similar issue.

Reaction score
Hello, I have an issue connecting my 6th Generation IPad (OS version 14.7.1). smart Pianist just does not recognise the P-125
However, I have an older iPad (iPad Air running 12.5.4) that connects to the P-125 with no problems.
Im wondering if the answer is somewhere in the6th Gen iPad settings but have no clue where to begin. Any guidance would be most appreciated. Thank you. David
Found a solution for usb not connected to the smart piano would love for someone to advertise it when you connect your device to the smart keyboard it says to to some kind of hardware update and after you it says usb not connected the only solution I discovery was to do a factory reset for the iPad not the piano or to try a new device and absolutely not to press the hardware update

Last edited:

Ask a Question