Smoke Gets in your Eyes (middle 8)

Reaction score
My version of the above is in Eb ... but then comes the dreaded middle 8 ... where off it goes into what I suppose is B.
It's by far the most difficult piece that I have in my Great American Songbooks and I've never been able to get through without pausing and/or fluffing.
Am I alone in finding this hard?
As a matter of interest could the publisher have got away with just using accidentals?
Or would that have made things more difficult still?
And on the subject of B, I don't think I've come across another G-A Songbook number in that key. Are there any?
OK it's my own fault that I can't manage B - but why is it so rare?
Thanks in advance for comments.
M

Reaction score
" ..It's by far the most difficult piece that I have in my Great American Songbooks ...
Steely Dan: Aja, by far the most difficult piece of rock music I've ever encountered... Starts in C, goes to Eb, then takes a hard left turn that loses me....

Den

Reaction score
You don't say what instrument you are playing. I would scan the music and then change the key to F. On my T4 I could use the transpose button if it really had to sound in Eb. I only play in C, F of G and transpose to what sounds OK remembering that in the retirement homes they have problems with high notes and hearing aids.
Regards, Den.

Ask a Question