So What do you think about this new synth?

Reaction score
I kind of have the idea that it might be fun to have a bit of a discussion thread about new synths. It may or may not work, but like I said, it could be fun!
So I'd like to start with a couple of videos about this one. I'm almost interested in getting it. Almost.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For those who'd rather read a few specs.

KORG is proud to announce the next step in digital synthesis: the wavestate. Featuring the radically re-imagined Wave Sequencing 2.0, the wavestate delivers astonishing, ever-changing sounds with extensive hands-on control. The wavestate is designed from the ground up for a new generation of musicians, producers, and composers, taking cues from sources as diverse as modular synths, groove boxes, and algorithmic composition. The compact form-factor, with 37 full-size keys, transports easily and fits neatly into any stage, studio, or desktop setup.

Features
• Wave Sequencing 2.0
• Extensive modulation with hands-on control
• Gigabytes of samples
• Modelled filters, including MS-20 and Polysix
• 64 stereo voices
• 4 Layers with Vector control
• 14 simultaneous effects
• Set Lists and Smooth Sound Transitions
• Randomisation
• Compact design with 37 full-size keys
• Designed by Korg R&D in California

Wave Sequencing 2.0
With the Wavestation, each step of a Wave Sequence had a duration, a sample, and a pitch. This created ear-catching patterns - but the patterns repeated the same way, over and over. What if they could evolve in organic, unexpected ways, instead of just repeating?

Wave Sequencing 2.0 splits apart the timing, the sequence of samples, and the melody, so that each can be manipulated independently. Also added are new characteristics including shapes, gate times, and step sequencer values. Each of these is a "Lane," and each Lane can have a different number of steps and its own start, end, and loop points.

Every time the sequence moves forward, the individual Lanes are combined to create the output. For instance, a sample may be matched with a different duration, pitch, shape, gate length, and step sequence value every time that it plays. You can modulate each Lane's start, end, and loop points separately for every note, using velocity, LFOs, envelopes, Mod knobs, or other controllers. Each note in a chord can be playing something different!

Lanes can also randomize the step order every time they play, with realtime control over the range of included steps. Finally, individual steps can be randomly skipped, with a modulatable probability from 0 to 100%. The result is organic, ever-changing sounds that respond to your control. The four onboard arpeggiators can interact with Wave Sequences for even more possibilities.

Easily expressive. Exceptionally deep.
Bursting with knobs and controllers, the wavestate invites you to explore. All of the basics - filter, envelopes, LFOs, effects - are at your fingertips with dedicated front-panel controls. Eight programmable Mod Knobs are customized to bring out the most in every sound, often taking them in entirely new directions. Use the knobs in realtime performance, and also save the results as new sounds. Add in the Pitch Bend and Modulation Wheels and the unique Vector Joystick, and you'll always have multiple dimensions of realtime expression.

Free bundle of music software
The wavestate comes with a diverse variety of music software from Izotope including "Ozone Elements" which lets you not only create songs but also master them using AI, "Skoove" which will help you improve your keyboard playing skills, "Reason Lite" DAW software, as well as software synths from KORG and other brands.

Specifications

Keyboard: 37 keys (velocity and release-velocity sensitive)

Sound generating system: Wave Sequencing 2.0

Maximum Polyphony: 64 stereo voices

Sounds: Ships with over 240 Performances, 740 Programs, and 1,000 Wave Sequences
Storage for tens of thousands of user Performances

Structure
Performance: 4 Layers, Reverb, EQ; all edits are stored in the Performance, DAW-style (saving as separate Programs, Wave Sequences etc. is supported but not required)
Layer: Program, Arpeggiator, Key and Velocity Zones
Program: Wave Sequence, Filter, Amp, Pre FX, Mod FX, Delay

Filters: 2-pole LPF, 2-pole HPF, 2-pole BPF, 2-pole Band Reject, 4-pole LPF, 4-pole HPF, 4-pole BPF, 4-pole Band Reject, Multi Filter, MS-20 LPF, MS-20 HPF, Polysix

Modulation
Controllers: Mod Wheel, Pitch Wheel, Vector Joystick X/Y, 8x Program/Performance Mod Knobs
Other Sources: 3x Envelopes, Vector Envelope, 3x LFOs, 2x Mod Processors, 2x Key Track, Step Sequencer Lane, Step Pulse, Tempo, Program/Performance Note Count, Program/Performance Voice Count, Poly Legato, Velocity, Exponential Velocity, Release Velocity, Gate/Gate+Damper, Note-On Trigger/Note-On Trigger+Damper, Note Number, Aftertouch/Poly Aftertouch (external MIDI only), MIDI CCs +/-, MIDI CCs +
Destinations: Most parameters can be modulated, including parameters of individual Wave Sequence Steps. Depending on Wave Sequence length, there can be more than 1,000 potential modulation targets per Program.

Effects
Pre FX: Decimator, Graphic EQ, Guitar Amp, Modern Compressor, Parametric EQ, Red Compressor, Ring Modulator, Tremolo, Wave Shaper
Mod FX: Black Chorus/Flanger, Black Phase, CX-3 Vibrato Chorus, EP Chorus, Harmonic Chorus, Modern Chorus, Modern Phaser, Orange Phase, Polysix Ensemble, Small Phase, Talking Modulator, Vintage Chorus, Vintage Flanger, Vintage/Custom Wah, Vox Wah

Delay: L/C/R Delay, Multiband Mod Delay, Reverse Delay, Stereo/Cross Delay, Tape Echo
Reverb: Early Reflections, Overb
Performance EQ: 4-band parametric EQ

Inputs/outputs
Headphone (6.3 mm stereo phone jack)
OUTPUT L/MONO and R (impedance-balanced 6.3 mm TRS phone jacks)
DAMPER (6.3 mm phone jack)
MIDI IN and OUT connectors
USB B port

Power supply: AC adapter (DC12V, 2500mA)
Power consumption: 5 W

Dimensions (W D H): 565 x 338 x 92 mm/22.24" x 13.31" x 3.62"
Weight: 2.9 kg/6.93 lbs.

Included items: AC adapter, Precautions, Quick Start Guide

Accessories (sold separately): DS-1H damper pedal, PS-1 pedal switch, PS-3 pedal switch

Price in Canada for a preorder, $850 Beans plus HST.

Personally I'd like it better if the keyboard had another octave or two and aftertouch. A ribbon would be nice as well.

The price is not excessive for how it sounds. Personally though, I just coughed up a bundle for the Hydrasynth and my gear budget is blown to hell for another year or two. In fact if the Corona virus keeps slamming the TSX like it's been doing this past week I may have to sell off all my gear and move into a Cardboard Box at Bloor and Spadina. :p

Still it IS a very nice sounding synth and sounds almost like a "Peter Gabriel in a Box." :D

If you're in the market for something new then this would fit the bill I guess.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Luke from Korg UK who is the guy playing in videos Jeremy posted could make an eighties Casiotone kids keyboard sound good.

Here is Luke on the Korg UK’s very own Synth Show giving a demo of the Wavestate for 32 minutes, after which there is the SV2, Ignore what text you see in the link the webinar is on demand post the live date.

EMOTIVE COMMENT.

For a home musician I really do not see the need at all for buying any small standalone synth.

There are so many Apps out there that can provide a similar sound to that which is required for a fraction of the cost.

Educate me as to why I am wrong !

Reaction score
Cool stuff! I'm hoping people will show other interesting synths here as well. Maybe some comparison videos too.
I just thought we could have a new thread for all of us synth heads!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's a sounds only demo so you don't all think it's rubbish :D

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
iPad 12.9 Pro. $1500 CDN PLUS HST. Guaranteed to keep you paying for the three years before it becomes obsolete. :p

Accessories to get it communicating with your speakers and controllers, EXTRA $500 PLUS HST.

iPad app. Resale value, $0.00 in any currency...

Controlling a half dozen VSTIs with a slippery non responsive little touch screen???

Priceless!!! :D :D :D

overpriced-ipad.png

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are so far off base Gary that you are in Hong Kong.

I have had my iPad for 10 years so that is £80 per year if I just scrap it.

The Lightning adaptor to my speakers came FREE, it is a two part lead, with the lead from the Adaptor to my mixer being just one I have in my many spare leads plucked out of my box of connectors.

I’ll wield my knife against your gun any day

DE2E98FC-BAD7-4284-809D-4FE3394611BC.jpeg

E4D77CE7-2A94-4E78-989D-DF756FA79913.jpeg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's not a snowball's chance in hell that any apple product remains fully current more than three years without an OS update breaking something. This is the company that introduced an "upgrade" that cut battery life in HALF!!!

And new Ipads don't have audio jacks or usb ports so you gotta $pend $pend $PEND if you actually want to use it for something useful.

Nice ipad grandad. Gonna show us your flip phone next? :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Haha I’m still gigging with Sunrizer on an iPad 2. As recently as last night. I’m waiting for it to spontaneously combust in response to a secret time-bomb chip I suspect Apple may have hidden in it!

Jeremy the Wavestate looks amazing although I’ve not been lucky enough to try one out yet. I’m not a real synth head myself but if one was - what a great time to be alive. So many cool new synth products coming out at very reasonable prices.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Advantages of hardware even if just for home use:

* No latency issues.

* Possibly unique sonic characteristics (especially if analog).

* Dedicated tactile interface. (An app controlled from its screen has dedicated interface, but not tactile; if controlled by a generic controller with definable controls, it can have a tactile interface but not dedicated, which means you end up using a panel layout with controls that are not laid out/labeled/sized/grouped etc. in the most intuitive/logical way for controlling a particular synth app... it's nice to have an interface that is both.)

* Convenience of being self-contained.

* May have desirable uncommon physical attributes, like the polyphonic aftertouch and ribbon of the Hydrasynth above.

* Will more likely work for many years (iOS updates eventually tend to break apps, and the apps don't always get updated, and Apple makes it hard to avoid updating to the new OS)

* generally pretty much guaranteed to be stable and bug-free, no unexpected needs to restart

So in short... sound, control/expressiveness, workflow/ergonomics, reliability are all potential hardware advantages. Of course, apps can have advantages too, including their own unique sonic qualities and workflows, and of course high value. Luckily we can use both!

Reaction score
And of course we also have this sweet little beasty! I love hearing the sweep of square waves opening and closing. Magic to my ears. I'm not in the market for this, budget issues as we all know way too well. But it's fun to dream!

Ask a Question