Soft keyboard

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha MODX. I enjoy playing the instrument. I noticed that the sound gets soft suddenly for no apparent reason. I replaced the amplifier cable and checked to make certain that cable is connected properly. I thought that the issue was resolved. The problem appeared again. I would appreciate any suggestions that will assist in solving this problem. Thanks so much for your help.

Reaction score
I don't think there's going to be a whole lot you can do without opening it up. You probably have an internal component failure. You could get a schematic and hit the test points with your meter. Not a lot of players have those diagnostic and repair skills.

My suggestion is to contact the authorized repair center Yamaha can refer you to.

If you really think you're up to cracking it open on your own, get a schematic and forward me a copy - I'll help. If you've never soldered on a circuit board before I wouldn't consider it. It's possible to find something as simple as a volume pot needs to be sprayed out with electronics cleaner, but I doubt it.

One last thing - I wouldn't take it anywhere except who Yamaha refers you to.

Good luck, keep us posted - Jim

Reaction score
Do you have a volume pedal connected to it???

If you do have one, disconnect it and play for awhile to see if the problem occurs as maybe the pedal cord/cable or pedal itself (possibly the jack it connects too) is the issue.

You didn't say if you've done any custom tweaking or programming that could be an issue, but perhaps a factory reset -- and ensure you have the latest firmware -- ought to be checked.

Old No7

Reaction score
Thanks so much for replying. I don't have a volume control pedal. I checked cables and amplifier. Will consider your suggestion of resetting the keyboard. Will post if that proess is successful.
Thank you for your assistance.

Reaction score
One other thought...

Try to determine how/when it occurs to see if there's any commonality to it. You didn't mention if you'd done much/any custom programming on it -- but if it happens only on a patch/tone/favorite that you had modified; then record the tweaks you made on paper (to refer to later), and it's possible that a reset to the factory settings might resolve the issue. But if not, then you'd know it's likely an internal fault.

I have an MODX6 but have not had this issue, yet I'm curious and concerned for you (and me...)

Old No7

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will try to determine when the malfunction occurs. I don' feel comfortable opening the keyboard. Certainly hope that the problem can be solved with out using a repair technician.

Ask a Question