Software arrangers

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a long time lurker but this is my first post.

I'm almost done writing a software based arranger (or auto accompaniment organ if you prefer) and I'm wondering if there is software out there which I don't know about that does something similar to my program.

The ones I know of so far are:
Callisto
Live Styler
RMCA
vArranger
Android midiArranger
One Man Band
Real-time style performer

Are there any others out there that I don't know about? Also if you've used any such software I'd love to hear you opinions.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I've heard of some of those, but not all of them. I haven't really used any of them, aside from one whose name I can't recall at the moment-- it's probably one of those you listed, but I can't find it on my computer, so it might have been installed on my laptop, iPad, Nook, or Windows tablet.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I would say so.

There are also one or two utilities that can play a style file on your computer, either through the computer's default "MIDI synth" or through an attached keyboard or other tone generator-- but they're intended more for simply "auditioning" an existing style file than for editing/creating one and/or providing accompaniment while you're playing the keyboard.

Reaction score
I didn't include Baind in a Box in my list because I thought it didn't do real-time chord recognition but maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to take another look at it.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I didn't include Baind in a Box in my list because I thought it didn't do real-time chord recognition but maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to take another look at it.

You may be right. I've never bought it; just keep seeing the advertisements.

Reaction score
I am very sorry to jump in and say this but what exactly is a software arranger? Is audacity a software arranger?

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I'm guessing, but from Arranger's comments above, a software arranger is software that operates in a similar fashion to a keyboard arranger, with built in styles (Waltz, Soft Rock, etc.) and varying instruments to carry out the style (drums, bass, piano, etc.). The input to the software would be (supposedly) a MIDI data stream from a keyboard played live, and the software would figure out what the chord is from the keys being pressed, and produce accompaniment.

I'm not sure if the software would actually produce the sounds -- hopefully using VST instruments so that the user can upgrade the sounds -- or if it will produce a MIDI output on multiple channels for the different instruments, which will then be generated on sound modules and keyboards. I could see an argument for either approach, or perhaps both.

If the software doesn't produce sounds, just MIDI, it could run on an iPad, but if it's going to produce professional quality sounds it would probably require a more powerful computer. I think.

Under this definition, Audacity would not be an arranger.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
My understanding is that a "software arranger" is basically an "auto-accompaniment player" that lets you play style files on your computer, interactively switching between sections, changing chords, etc., as though you were playing styles on a keyboard that has an auto-accompaniment feature. In addition, it may or may not let you create new accompaniments and edit existing ones.

I doubt that it generates any sound by itself. It most likely lets you choose a MIDI Out port, which could be a MIDI soft synth (e.g., the wavetable synth in Windows) or some MIDI hardware (e.g., a keyboard).

Reaction score
Yes, both SeaGtGruff and Fred Culter are right on. What I mean by software arranger is basically the same as the arranger keyboards we already know but on a computer and instead of playing sounds from an on-board chip it sends midi data to an external module or a multitimbral VST synth.

Reaction score
Yep, confirmed. I just took a closer look at their website and it appears the only way it works is by entering a list of chords before you start playing so I wouldn't call it an arranger, even if technically you can use it to make arrangements.

Ask a Question