Software for capturing MIDI sequences

Reaction score
Hello,

Would anyone be so kind as to help me to choose the software for capturing and editing tunes from my YAMAHA P-105B piano? The piano has a USB-BM port, so it could be connected to the computer with a standard USB-AM/USB-BM cable.

What I would like to be able to do is to push some button and play some sequence of notes on my piano and then push another button and to play it back on my computer. If it sounds well, I'd like to push a button and play another sequence of notes, but if it doesn't sound as it supposed to, I'd like to be able to edit the sequence I've just recorded.

It would be just amazing if this software could be controlled by voice commands ("record", "stop", "replay", etc.).

Also, I don't have a sound card, so the software must be able to read MIDI-sequences from a USB-port which my piano is connected to.

Could you, please, help me to choose the right tool for my tasks?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Welcome.

Do a search for DAW software (digital audio workstation)

Cakewalk, Reaper, Logic, Ableton are to name but four.

Additionally check out Audacity which is a limited DAW but very good at audio recording.

3dc

Reaction score
You should be fine with MIDI over USB in any DAW. Audacity, as far as I know, does not support MIDI out of the box but it is good solution for straight audio recording. I am not sure why you need voice commands but if its because of visual impairment I would suggest dedicated DAW controller. Popular combos are
Reaper with Icon Platform B+ controller
Ableton Live with Push 2 controller
FL Studio with Akai Fire controller

Or you can pick general purpose controllers such as:
Contour ShuttleXpress
Contour ShuttlePro V2
or even ELGATO STREAM DECK controller with 32 shortcuts somebody could customize it for your needs.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Absorb those and come back when you have more coherent questions. :)

Result of a 5 word youtube search :)

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome, @v.melnyk!

I don't know whether there are any DAWs with built-in voice control capabilities, but there are apps for tablets and smartphones that allow you to control DAWs remotely.

As for choosing a DAW, just about every commercial DAW I know of offers a free trial so you can see if it's the one for you. Also, commercial DAWs usually come in three or more versions with varying degrees of capabilities, and some have a free version-- usually with very limited capabilities, but it might be enough to meet your needs. There are even a few full-featured DAWs available for free.

So it's a good idea to take any likely candidates for a lengthy test spin, or try any free versions that are available, before you decide to purchase one.

Ask a Question