Software for splitting live midi

Reaction score
I working on building up my live setup (still meager at this point) while spending as little as possible. Here's what I have so far:
Studiologic SL-990 Pro as my controller.
Yamaha PSR-530 as my sound source.

Currently I set them both up in front of me and just play the SL while using the Yamaha to access the patch combinations that I have saved in the banks.

My goal is to use software on a laptop to manage all my patch changes for me and set the Yamaha off to the side, also allowing for additional sound modules in the future. I have already written a simple program that can organize all my patch changes into song-setlist order so that I can click through them one by one at the appropriate times. The idea is that, at each patch change, the program will send program change events to the Yamaha by playing a very short midi file containing that data.

My problem is that I normally use splits on the Yamaha and have one instrument on the left and one or two instruments on the right. The Studiologic board is a very simple controller and does not have a split function. So I need some piece of software that can split an incoming midi signal into different channels based on note range. Programming this part of it is a little beyond me, so does anyone know of any software that would do the job? Or any alternate suggestions?

Reaction score
Bome's MIDI Translator will do the job, and there's a free postcardware version that'll do all that you need, since it sounds like you don't need really complicated behaviours.

Reaction score
I..
My goal is to use software on a laptop to manage all my patch changes for me and set the Yamaha off to the side,..

Once you have a computer why keep the Yamaha? Your setup would be simply with just a computer and MIDI controller. The computer can generate any of the sounds the Yamaha can.

Ask a Question