Software midi modules

Reaction score
Hello, it's me again.

Since there is no stage piano with decend Hammond organ on the market below $2000, I am looking for alternatives.

There is a Hammond XM-2 midi controller, but it's much too expensive. Do you know any cheaper alternatives?

What about software MIDI modules? Does this even exist (piano and hammond)? It this serious at all or is just for fun? Do you know any examples?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hammond XK3c with a leslie box. I got an old Leslie 45 from ebay for less than 500, and you can get a conversion box for around 200 that will convert 11-pin to 6-pin.

Nord sucks. Roland organs suck. Korg CX-3 is the only thing that's not HAMMOND that is worth it, but they don't make 'em anymore.

Also the new Hammond SK1 is a toy piece of trash...makes me sick.

XK3-C is a great board...really perfect.

Reaction score
i've only just discovered what a hammond organ really is. since i'm buying a new stage piano, i'd like to have this organ or at least an option to have it.

i've never played a real hammond.

have you got any recommendations?

thanks.

Reaction score
I think you should find a hammond model B3, or A-100 series (A-102, A-100) and play it, hooked up to a leslie rotary speaker cabinet. If you fool around with the organ for an hour or so and are not hooked, you might want to re-think your purchase. If you watch youtube videos of billy preston, jimmy smith, joey defrancesco, or any country, reggae, or classic rock artist and arent inspired by their organ playing, you should re-think your purchase.

If you do totally dig the above stuff, get an XK3-c. hands down the best portable organ for your money. The thing is PRO!!! Really pro. I'm suprised you dont see more of them on stage nowadays...

Reaction score
That's right, i have to try one out.

how is it with hardware controllers for VB3? There is one in the video on the VB3 site, but i cant find anything. Is this stuff really that exotic? I was even considering building my own controller.

As fas as XK-3C is concerned, its price with lower keyboard and bass pedals comes close to real hammonds... at least used.

Reaction score
Dude....no modules man. I am not a purist, but this is my philosophy. There are three things that make "the sound" that you can't sample or replicate very well.

-the tonewheel
-the tube
-rotary

Also, that XM-2 controller has been out for a long time and doesn't function without the 1u rackmount module connected to it. It's basically just drawbars with a midi port. Plus, the sounds from the module are from the XK-1 generation time period.

I drooled over the XK system (lower manual, pedals, etc) for a while. Way overpriced in my opinion. All you really need is the xk3c and a real leslie with an adapter box. If you really really must have two manuals...just get a b3 or c3 chop from ebay. below is the url

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-CHOP...ltDomain_0&hash=item519b96d4a9#ht_3071wt_1187

much luck

Ask a Question