Software or gadget for live performance to switch keyboard preset

Reaction score
What software or gadget is good for live performance?

I want an easy way to switch keyboard presets by seeing some large button on the computer screen or some device I can plop on top of the keyboard.

I have an old Yamaha S80, and it has buttons I can program with Performance voices. So far, so good... Problem is the buttons to switch are quite small, and easy to press the wrong one during rehearsal or performance. Heck I can barely see the button or the index sheet I taped on!

So I'm looking for some alternative that lets me see something big that says ORGAN or PIANO or WURLITZER, that I can see easily and press that to have the keyboard switch to that voice via MIDI very quickly.

It can be Mac, Windows, or Android/Chrome tablet (I don't have an iPad and an iPhone would be smaller than what I need). Or some outboard gadget that I can label easily.

Thanks!
Harry

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
One program that's consistently praised by performing keyboardists is Bome MIDI Translator. I don't know if you can design your own large-text button layouts with it, but it's very flexible as far as sending patch changes or controlling all sorts of things via MIDI.

If you've got an iPad, you might want to check out MIDI Designer. I know you said you don't have an iPad, but I think there are similar types of apps for Android-- although I'm not sure if there's one that lets you design your own virtual controller the way MIDI Designer does.

Reaction score
Thanks Michael (and Ted)... correct, I do NOT have an iPad.

However if I found a great solution, I would buy one for this purpose.

Separate question: does anyone know the user ARIES who immediately emailed me after I joined here -- I'm a new user.

- Harry

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I mentioned MIDI Designer because it lets you design your own virtual controller-- you can select the type of control (button, knob, fader, etc.), change its size, etc.-- so presumably it would be easy to create your own display with big buttons that say "ORGAN," "PIANO," etc. Although you don't have an iPad (yet, anyway! :)), you can still check out the MIDI Designer web site to see what the app looks like, what its capabilities are, etc.

As I said, there might be a similar app for Android.

Reaction score
Actually I looked at the screenshots, and I did not see a screen like the one you described.
Maybe I'll see if someone made a video.

- Harry

Ask a Question