Some keys are accented, and not touch sensitive?

Reaction score
G, G#, A, Bb, B, C, and C# above middle C is all accented, and not touch sensitive. No matter how lightly I touch it, it's always extremely loud. I'm not sure if that's a setting I accidently put on, or if the keys are damaged, but if anyone has any solutions I would greatly appreciate it!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What make and model keyboard? Try backing up your settings and doing a factory reset.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It seems like whenever I read about people having this sort of issue, it usually turns out to be a problem with the key contacts, or something of that nature.

If you search on YouTube you can generally find many videos of people opening up their keyboards and cleaning or repairing the key contact strips. If you search for your particular brand and model of keyboard, you might even be able to find videos specific to it.

There are merchants who sell replacement key contact strips and other keyboard replacement parts online:

http://www.bustedgear.com/part_key_contact_strip.html

https://syntaur.com/
https://syntaur.com/Items/D5S6.html

https://www.fullcompass.com/
https://www.fullcompass.com/categor...al-instrument-parts/keyboards-and-midi-parts/

It pays to shop around, because prices for the same part can vary a good bit from site to site. If you can find the service manual for your specific brand and model of keyboard (check on https://elektrotanya.com/), then you might be able to find the specific part number or ID for your keyboard, and then search on the internet for that part number to see if you can find the lowest price.

Reaction score
The fact that they are all in a row is pretty indicative of a ribbon chord problem. Keybeds have small ribbon connectors that are split into regions of 5-10 keys. If anything happens to a range of keys like this, you can be pretty sure a ribbon is at fault. Thankfully, the most common cause is that it's just become slightly unseated. One wire at the end of the ribbon that reports the velocity of each key isn't making contact, so the controller thinks it's getting full velocity every time. I'd put money on that being the cause, it's a pretty classic problem, and easy to fix:

Open up the board, and locate a ribbon that comes closest to that group of keys. Try removing it, and putting it back in. Be careful, they usually don't have an actual plug and can get damaged if you're hard on it. Wiggle it back and forth until it's all the way in and looks tightly seated.

I've never had this happen to one of my boards, but I've fixed other people's boards that exhibited the same problems you're describing. It's a common problem you'll read about across all models, though mostly unweighted boards (88key boards often use a different system).

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Do they still have smokey bars? Where do you play? Smoking has been banned in ALL venues, clubs, bars, hotels, cafe's, concerts . . everywhere in Australia.
Ray

Ditto in Canada. Also in public parks, bus shelters and outdoor cafes.

The damned anti smoking Nazis have gone bananas everywhere. :p

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I think in Japan smoking is still allowed. I did visit there a few years ago on business and was taken to a night club / karaoke bar where everyone smoked. The atmosphere was awesome.
I kinda miss it these days. No atmoshere. If you know what I mean!

I never thought of smoke penetrating the keypads though. Intetesting thought there posed by @Eric Barker .

"Play it again Sam" Remember that scene from the movie with floating smoke all around. . .ray

Reaction score
Technically, Hawaii has banned smoking, but the bars I play at are owned by a group who's managed to skirt by the issue. Personally, I find myself torn on the issue. I don't smoke and I understand why places are banning smoking in bars to protect staff, but I grew up thinking of a bar as a smoker's haven, and it's really hard to get my head around them not being.

That said, It's one of the best bar venue's in Honolulu, and the smoking has gotten less and less over time. My real problem was when a faulty AC unit above my keyboard "burped" and sprayed years of ash all over my equipment. I really should have demanded the club pay for damages, but I'll admit, I didn't want to jeopardize my band's contract.

Reaction score
Perhaps you need to change the value of the dynamic sensitivity in the keyboard settings from fixed to sensitive.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think Frankin was just trying to be helpful.

But from the description of the problem, most of the keys are working fine as far as velocity sensitivity; it's only the seven keys mentioned which don't have velocity sensitivity.

Reaction score
I have little patience for those who "try to be helpful" while failing to actually LISTEN to the problem at hand. Sorry not sorry.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have little patience for those who "try to be helpful" while failing to actually LISTEN to the problem at hand. Sorry not sorry.

Dude!

Who crapped on your corn flakes this morning to make you resurrect this thread that's been dead for three weeks? :D

Here's something to cheer you up :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question