"Something New" - Pocket Venus - Live acoustic recording

Reaction score
Hey all,

Here's a pretty rough recording of one of my bands latest songs. The recording is dicey as the piano is clipping through out and it was the last song of the set, so we were all pretty drunk and tired by this stage, hence the wobbly vocals during the last chorus. Just let me know what you think :)
Any criticism is welcomed!

http://soundcloud.com/pocket-venus/sets/something-new-11

Reaction score
Quick note, the second half of the song is supposed to "go on for quite a while" but have patience, it does go somewhere.

Reaction score
I like it. Both the vocals and the song itself. Anyway, being a prog rock fan, the only thing I felt was missing was a grand solo of some kind after the long build up, and after some of the vocals - either lead guitar, moog, hammond, or what have you. Also, i would've loved some kind of stereo, slow-moving pad in addition to the piano, a little more dominant than just the piano\strings layer :) I think it would fill out the whole sound quite nicely. Also, i wish I could hear more bass in the recording, but he should have some short bass licks inbetween all the long notes (without being over the top of course), just a bit of having fun with the arrangement ^^

... But this is of course only my very subjective prog-rock-ish opinion. The song in itself is very nice. A kind of Pink Floyd\Coldplay hybrid I should say.

Reaction score
I thanks for that.
I know what you mean about the solo, I think the recorded version may well have something along the lines you suggested, but the recording you listened to was from an acoustic gig we played, so no axes, synths or hammonds allowed. :(
Also you're right about the bass being barely audible in the recording, there are actually a few licks, although we do tend to over cook a lot of stuff so made a conscious effort with this song to hold to the whole, less is more style of writing.
As for the slow moving pad, in the original demo version there was a pad sound underlying the piano track, however I preferred the "natural" acoustic sound, in the recorded version (next few weeks hopefully) I'm going to go totally Hans Zimmer at the end, from the build up there will be a full (sampled) orchestral section. I may still chuck a pad into the first part of the song though depending on how it sounds in the mix.
Thank you very much for taking time to listen and give feedback, it's much appreciated!

Ask a Question