Something on the side...

Reaction score
I am soooo chuffed with the Kawai MP11SE that I wonder why I ever looked at anything else these past few months.
Piano really is what I love, I realize that now more than anything, and I'm having a lot of fun with this fantastic board. It feels so amazing. I'm even rekindling my interest in classical music.
Seriously, I should never have bothered with all the other boards I've been buying and returning. I should have gone for a digital piano straight away, would have saved me all the trouble...

Anyway, it also makes me think about doing small gigs here and there in the near future, small and intimate venues, mind you, no stage performances of any kind.
Of course, the MP11SE is heavy, too heavy to lug around. And in case you're wondering : no, I haven't made the wrong choice, this really is the piano and key action I wanted. This is a keeper ! Full stop.

Anyway, I have been looking for a lighter alternative to take on the road. My Kross 2 88 could do the job, but to be quite frank, the key action really isn't ideal for piano (I'm quite spoiled with the MP11SE) and I don't care too much for lugging around a separate amp every time, especially the Laney AH150 I have, which is quite heavy and bulky, and which I haven't bought to take on the road to begin with. So all in all, this kind of setup can be ‘transportable’, but I wouldn't really call it 'portable'.

So I started to look around for something portable with built-in speakers, not too expensive but with a convincing piano weighted action. I had heard so many great things about the new Casio Privia models that I decided to take a look and try them out.
Honestly, the PX-S1000 I played on, for the money, it's quite unbelievable. The keys feel wonderful, and the action is equally so. It's not Kawai's Grand Feel, let me get that straight, but for piano, it's way better than the Kross 2 88. And you can get a triple pedal for it. So I guess it's in the bag (no pun intended, but the bag will come in handy). I also tried the Yamaha P125 and the Roland FP30 but I didn't really like the action on those ; the Kawai ES110 was close, but ultimately, the Casio felt better than all the rest (and important for me, it’s not noisy).

Now, I couldn't try the PX-S3000 because they didn't have it, but it's got the exact same action so I know what it would feel like. However, it's 350 EUR more expensive, 545 EUR for the PX-S1000, 899 EUR for the 3000, and that gets you 200 rhythms and accompaniments, an arpeggiator, a mod wheel, two programmable knobs and 700 sounds instead of the 18 in the PX-S1000. To be frank, I don't need all those extra trimmings and the somewhat awkward selection of tones and changing of settings is easily remedied by hooking it up to an iPad or even an iPhone (which you always carry with you), plus giving you extra sounds at the same time.

Strangely, the price difference in the US is smaller between the two : the 1000 is 599 USD and the 3000 799 USD. That’s only 200 USD difference, which in even less in EUR. In Europe, the difference amounts to 350 EUR (which is even more in dollar) and I don’t feel it’s worth forking out 60% more…

Reaction score
That is one very neat looking and sweet sounding keyboard that has to be the best vfm of its type and price range.

Pleased that you have now found your state of nirvana.

With its small overall dimensions, battery powered, onboard 8W x 2 and 11kg weight you should be OK transporting it around.

Reaction score
I gigged with a Casio PX5S for about 6 years and it served me well. I went back to the Yamaha MOXF8 because I never did get comfortable with the Casio operating system, and I think the Yamaha voices generally sit better in the FOH mix. Some of that could be my ears ( personal preference?) since I hadn't gigged with a Yamaha keyboard for 6 years......lol.

Reaction score
I never did get comfortable with the Casio operating system

With the PX-S1000, there's not really an operating system to speak of :) (well, it's under the hood, but there's not even a display).
In fact, it almost feels as minimalistic as the acoustic upright Yamaha U1 I used to own, but the Casio fits in a bag :p

Reaction score
That is one very neat looking and sweet sounding keyboard that has to be the best vfm of its type and price range.

With its small overall dimensions, battery powered, onboard 8W x 2 and 11kg weight you should be OK transporting it around.

I agree, a piano to go !

Pleased that you have now found your state of nirvana.

IMG_0981.jpeg

Went for the Roland KC-220 as keyboard amp. It's great, no hiss at all, quiet as a whistle, and sounds lovely.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That Kawai may play like a dream but it is one butt ugly boxy mutha of a keyboard :p

It looks like it was designed in Legoland :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
BTW.

In my last post I was referring to the Casio for looks.

Agree with Gary about the looks of the Kawai.

Still its what it sounds like is what matters.
Good grief, I have just looked up the price of the Kawai ......... 2200 Euro.

To each their own!

Reaction score
Did you try the new Nord Grand it is using the Kawai keybed and is about 25 pounds lighter. Price about the same, but Nord you get lifetime of new piano sounds for free and they have some amazing sounding piano. But you do have to like Red.

Reaction score
Went for the Roland KC-220 as keyboard amp. It's great, no hiss at all, quiet as a whistle, and sounds lovely.
Congrats on your successful purchase of the Kawai. I'm sure you'll love it for years to come. Your amplification choice, however, might be considered by some to be the equivalent of putting retreads on a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.
I have been looking for a lighter alternative to take on the road. My Kross 2 88 could do the job, but to be quite frank, the key action really isn't ideal for piano
The action in the Kross 88 is definitely a reasonable distance away from what one could expect from an acoustic piano. I find it quite sluggish. For me, Korg's RH3 action used in the SV-1, Grandstage and Kronos is much easier to get along with. But some don't love that action either.

You probably need to weigh up the convenience of the Kross against how much you're willing to put up with its action. Ultimately live gigging choices always necessitate an element of compromise unless you have unlimited stage space, transport space, budget and muscle.

Reaction score
That Kawai may play like a dream but it is one butt ugly boxy mutha of a keyboard :p

It looks like it was designed in Legoland :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Well, as it’s kind of shaped like a real piano (sides), I kind of like the look, as it’s not your typical ‘slab’…

Your amplification choice, however, might be considered by some to be the equivalent of putting retreads on a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.

Well, I disagree on that one. It’s perfect for my use case. As I said, no hiss, and it sounds as I expected. Oh, and I would choose a Bentley :p

The action in the Kross 88 is definitely a reasonable distance away from what one could expect from an acoustic piano. I find it quite sluggish. For me, Korg's RH3 action used in the SV-1, Grandstage and Kronos is much easier to get along with. But some don't love that action either.

You probably need to weigh up the convenience of the Kross against how much you're willing to put up with its action. Ultimately live gigging choices always necessitate an element of compromise unless you have unlimited stage space, transport space, budget and muscle.

Don’t take the ‘gigging’ part too seriously, there will be no performing on stage, or anything like that. Will mostly be in spaces not much bigger than a large living room so that’s why I thought something like that Casio PX-S1000 would be so convenient. Plus the fact that it is incredibly affordable makes it kind of a no-brainer...
I had been looking at the Korg D1, since I know and like Korg's RH3 keybed, but then I would still need to lug around an amp, so I'd rather keep it ultra-portable and convenient...

Did you try the new Nord Grand it is using the Kawai keybed and is about 25 pounds lighter. Price about the same, but Nord you get lifetime of new piano sounds for free and they have some amazing sounding piano. But you do have to like Red.

The Nord Grand has Kawai’s RH3 keybed, which is plastic, and is also found in Kawai’s own MP7SE. The MP11SE, however, has the Grand Feel keybed, which is made of wood, with long keysticks, almost as long as on a real grand piano.
FYI, my Kawai MP11SE costs 2200 euro and it has a better keybed than the Nord Grand, which costs close to 3400 euro, having the same keybed as the MP7SE, which sells for around 1350 euro…
As I've said before, I don't believe the Nord sound library is worth the extra money for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pure Gold analogy

I agree, nice analogy. However, I don't get the hate for the KC-220.
I bought it instead of the CM30's, because it's more convenient, less cables and I could always have returned it if I didn't like it. But I am pleasantly surprised, provided you don't expect it to be a one-stop solution for all your audio needs. For me, as a living room amp, it's perfect, it's more than loud enough and it sounds very good.

Ask a Question