Something very small with sounds and a sequencer

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for any input, I'm hoping something exists that fits what I'm looking for.

I am trying to find something very small that I can noodle around on while I'm at a bus stop or a baseball game. I see all of these guys here in Hawaii playing their small Soprano ukuleles and I get very jealous!

I'm trying to find something like the Korg Microarranger, but even more micro. Either 25 or 37 keys. The built in sounds don't have to be awesome, just enough to get by. And I want to just lay down a track, either by playing each track in or using an arranger where I can just record a chord sequence, then play a melody over it live. I would like to have something with pads on it as well, so I can bang out a rhythm.

Maybe a small midi controller and some modern day version of a Yamaha QY70 sequencer? I used to have a QY100, but it was very heavy because of the guitar and mic effects that it could do. Just some basic rhythms, with the ability to make your own. The interface on the QY is kinda out there, but it's highly tweakable. The old PSR-500 series of keyboard actually has everything I would want as far as software, but they're 61 full-size keys! Maybe I could take one apart and remove the keyboard and attach a midi controller via the midi input? I'm quite the maker!

It would be great to have something in "keytar" format, so it's easy to carry around or sit around and noodle around.

Thanks Again for any input!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Korg Microarranger is pretty much your best bet for a standalone compact unit.

Otherwise, consider an iPad or iPhone with a 25 key controller as your next best bet.

Those would be your only "professional grade" options for standalone, compact, portable and battery powered.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
New members aren't allowed to post links here until they've vetted themselves with a few more posts.

Anyway I looked it up.

http://www.kdj-one.com/home

It looks interesting and sounds good on paper, but since it's lacking actual MIDI ports or any sort of expansion keyboard other than the cheezy one octave of pushbuttons on the front panel I'd have to say that I wouldn't pay the $800 they're asking for their first production units.

I mean other than sequencing on the go I don't see all the bells and whistles as being necessary and how often are you going to sequence dance music while riding a bus or a plane?

I/O capabilities look weak to me.

I'm pretty certain I could accomplish most of the same stuff with a $270 netbook and a $79 USB MIDI controller like the Alesis QX25. :p

http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-QX25-Advanced-keyboard-Controller/dp/B006Z725TG

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-ES1-111M-C40S-11-6-Inch-Diamond/dp/B00MNOPS1C

Gary

Ask a Question