Song Selections for bar gigs

Reaction score
I play out shows throughout local bars and doing a pretty good job at it, BUT I have to keep material fresh and new so I don't bore my crowd each week hearing the same stuff. Anyone have any ideas for a good piano covers I can pull off? Some influences have been great like Gavin Degraw, Counting Crows, Black Crowes, Daniel Powter and guys like that. But i'm starting to get stuck on finding new songs to cover.

Reaction score
you could do a great Free Bird on keys.

now before you start laughing...it's pretty easy and sounds pretty good. the chords are all over the web (only get the ones in G). For the solo just play fast arpeggios and gliss around and go wild.

Supertramp or Neil young have some stuff....Neil young would be pretty easy to turn into piano ballad sorta stuff.

Reaction score
Does your audience tend to more mainstream pop, some country or folky? If you don't mind considering female artists to cover (their songs are sometimes easier to do solo and there's more to select from.) . Otherwise you can get ideas by listening to on-line radio stations from other parts of the country for some more diversity or just look at theit play lists. New York is a good target for that. Hope this helps. Lenster.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A couple of days ago someone posted a question over on Casiomusicforums.com about what musical influences affected our music most.

First of all I'll copy and paste a short list of the groups whom I enjoy most in my CD collection.

Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, Shriekback, Gentle Giant, Weather Report, Roxy Music, PFM, Sensations Fix, Ramases, Deodato, Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Stranglers, the Pretenders, Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Bauhaus, The Cure, The B-52's, The Go Gos, Lene Lovitch, Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Bow Wow Wow, Elastica, Republica, CSS, t.A.T.u., The Bangles, Belinda Carlisle, Bjork, Traffic, Blind Faith, icicle Works, Japan, Moody Blues, ELP, The Zutons, Sting, Stewart Copeland, Gary Numan, Yoav, Jan Hammer, Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, David Essex, Adam Ant, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Kraftwerk, Passport, The Monks, Nash The Slash, Yes, REM, Midnight Oil, The Talking Heads, The Tragically Hip, Public Image Limited, The Violent Femmes, The Ramones, The Cars, Eiffel 65, The Psychedlic Furs, The Smiths, The Bronski Beat, The Charlatans UK, falco, Echo and the Bunnymen, Thomas Dolby, Blancmange, Ultravox, Midge Ure, Visage, Thompson Twins, Soft Cell, Sisters of Mercy, Stan Ridgeway, Wall of Voodoo, Sniff and the Tears, KT Tunstall, Imagine Dragons, Walk off the Earth, Snow Patrol, Gang of Four, The Police, The Sex Pistols, The Hives, The Waitresses, Julie Brown,

That's about 10% of my CD collection. If you can't find some new stuff to play in there then there is no god :)

and to make things easy on you, you can audition all the tunes before buying the CDs and sheets at grooveshark.

http://grooveshark.com/

Ignore the site registration and the begging for money on the home page. You can listen to almost any tune in full free of charge on that site. The RIAA's been trying to shut them down unsuccessfully for years :D :D :D

Hope this helps.

Gary

Ask a Question