sorta intermediate pianist looking for keyboard

Reaction score
I guess i would consider myself a bit below intermediate. Been playing piano for about 2 years. Now im looking for a keyboard and can only spend about 400 bucks (Only 15, no job). Needs to be atleast 76 keys, doesnt have to be weighted.

I've been looking at a Yamaha DGX-220, which i can get with the survival kit (Sustain pedal, A/C adapter, headphones) for about 195.99, which seems to be a good deal, since they retail for about 300. Is this a good keyboard for a beginner to intermediate player? Also it says it has General MIDI, what does this entitled?

Feel free to post any other suggestions.

Reaction score
For beginners and below-intermediate players, the Yamaha DGX-220 would probably be the best choice around that price. The only thing you might find a bit disturbing as you get more experienced is that you won't really be able to make your own sounds, but you might just as well be satisfied with the presets. I don't really know if there are any other keyboards around that price that allows you to do that, though...

I actually have the DGX-220, and the only real thing that's been annoying me is the nonweighted keys (and the lack of creating sounds, but I can live with that). But if you don't feel like you need weighted keys, it's probably a good choice :)

Oh, I almost forgot. If you want to make your own sounds, you can always connect it to your computer and get a program like Cubase or Fruity Loops or similar, to open up some new possibilities ;)

Reaction score
Thanks alot for the relply. So you are pretty pleased with the quality of the DGX 220? Also I dont have an keyboard amp at the moment, will a guitar amp still produce ok sounds through it? I also already have fruity loops, but i am confused as to what you actually do between the two. You plug your keyboard into, via USB, select a sound in FL and it will play that sound when you hit a note on the keyboard?

Reaction score
Yes, the sound quality is definitely enough to please me :). And you won't need an amp with it, since it has built-in speakers.
And, yes, plugging the keyboard into your computer will do exactly what you just said, although I'm not that familiar with FL, so I don't really know either how it's done, or what else you can do. But you will probably be able to find some heavy leads or other sounds that the keyboard can't produce on its own.

Ask a Question