Sound of Patch Changes When Going from a Patch to Performance when Split

Reaction score
My 10yr old son is trying to use the split function for two different patches on his DS88. We have successfully created a number of performances from 2 different patches with the split. But one patch in particular keeps changing when we put it into a split performance. It is an expansion patch we added called Organfest '66. It sounds one way when it is a patch but when we split it into a performance the sound totally changes. We can't figure out what is going on? Any one else experience this?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Is it simply a changing of the FX settings for the patch or is it a totally different timbre?

If it's the FX settings you may want to check the current values of the settings when you save the performance. Or possibly you're running out of FX and the other patch in the split is commandeering the FX.

Also check the settings for the zones of the split. One patch may be layering with the other.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Is it simply a changing of the FX settings for the patch or is it a totally different timbre?

If it's the FX settings you may want to check the current values of the settings when you save the performance. Or possibly you're running out of FX and the other patch in the split is commandeering the FX.

Also check the settings for the zones of the split. One patch may be layering with the other.

Gary ;)

Thanks for the reply. It sounds distorted with lots of reverb and even some delay, just totally different. I'm not sure what the zones or layering means. I'll have to look those up. I did try and adjust the effects on the left of the keyboard: the chorus/delay, and reverb knobs, but those didn't do much. I just don't see why as a patch it sounds a certain way but when made into a split performance the sound totally changes, and it only happens with this one patch.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try adjusting the FX on the right side of the board as well. Like I said, the dominant zone of the split may be hijacking the FX for both sides of the board.

Also check the splitpoints and make sure one of the voices is not accidentally layered on the other one.

Finally, if all else fails, contact Roland Support. You may have discovered an undocumented firmware bug.

Gary;)

Reaction score
Try adjusting the FX on the right side of the board as well. Like I said, the dominant zone of the split may be hijacking the FX for both sides of the board.

Also check the splitpoints and make sure one of the voices is not accidentally layered on the other one.

Finally, if all else fails, contact Roland Support. You may have discovered an undocumented firmware bug.

Gary;)
Thanks Gary! I'll take a look at the FX on the right side. Haven't played with it yet.

Reaction score
Isn't working. We just edited the performance and saved it. We edited the MFX and turned off the offending effects and saved the performance. It worked great until we turn the keyboard off. When we turn it back on it goes to the same sound as before in performance mode.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Call or email tech support. It may be a bug in the firmware and there may be a workaround.

Perhaps if you saved the offending patch separately with the FX turned off first?

Gary ;)

Ask a Question