SoundCloud in danger?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thanks Mike.

I've been seeing the writing on the wall for months now.

That's why all my recent postings have been to both youtube as well as soundcloud.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Given what recently happened with PhotoBucket breaking links to pictures everywhere, I'd say it's a good idea to always keep local backups of anything you've posted to the cloud.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What you are saying is basic common sense as well as standard IT practice in the industry.

The problem with most amateurs is that they back up very seldomly if ever and when catastrophe hits they are left high and dry by the technician who's supposed to wave a dead chicken over the machine and somehow bring it back to life.

Personally I still have my original bookmarks and media files dating back over twenty years.

First backing up regularly to Zip drives, then CDRs, then DVD-Rs and now USB Terabyte drives as computer capacities have evolved.

If your machine is a working tool as mine are, then you really can't afford to be sloppy about backups.

At most I'd lose a month or two worth of work if any of my boxes failed but even then I usually back up incrementally to 3 or 4 computers at any given time.

If people lose their data because of laziness or ignorance they have no one to blame but themselves :)

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
(1) Common sense isn't common.

(2) Some dead chickens won't work; you must first have an expert examine its innards to read the omens to know whether or not the Computer Gods are feeling charitable today-- and today cannot be Tuesday.

(3) I make regular backups and store them on my hard drive, so that if my hard drive fails the backup will be right there and I won't have to go digging through my desk drawer, sock drawer, or closet shelves looking for whichever USB flash drive has the latest backup on it.

:D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Grozinski's FIRST law of Computers :

It's not IF a hard drive will fail but WHEN it will fail!!!

A Decent Quality Verbatim USB 1 TB Drive costs about 100 beans.

If you can't afford two of them to make double backups of your data staggered and incremented monthly or bimonthly then you do not deserve to keep your data.

IF you have more than 1 TB of data on your HD then it's time for you to go to rehab and get a different hobby :D :D :D

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I was just kidding of course.

But seriously, when PhotoBucket decides to make people pay $399 to share links to their photos on third-party sites, and a lot of people have to scramble to download all of their photos so they can migrate them to another service-- which they wouldn't need to do (download from PhotoBucket) if they had kept all of their original photos backed up locally instead of putting all of their eggs into PhotoBucket's basket-- it gives one pause.

Ask a Question