Soundcloud requirements

Reaction score
I see so many musicians using soundcloud, I thought I would create my own account. But I was put off by the requirement to state my age. Don't laugh, okay.
I am not that concerned people know how old I am, it's just that lately I am seeing on sites more required info which makes no sense to me; that they want and insist you give it.
So many use soundcloud that I am sure it is all straight forward, but I am just wondering. They also get real technical in their rules and I wonder, too, if I need a lawyer first, before signing up and finding myself in some trouble.;)

Thanks -gymnaze

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The only legitimate reason I can think of for wanting to know your age is to be sure you aren't a minor.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually Fred posted a couple of months ago that Soundcloud was losing money and in financial trouble.

As far as your personal privacy goes, Soundcloud is actually one of the less intrusive sites on the internet. I didn't even use my full name when I registered with them. Just my first name and last initial.

Also, if you've ever used Gmail or Yahoo Mail or Hotmail or any of the dozens of other webmail services out there you're already being tracked and have given up way more information than you expected including and not limited to, in some cases, tv viewing and sexual preferences.

As far as privacy goes on the internet these days that ship has long ago sailed.

We simply have to accept that our information these days is nothing more than another marketable commodity to be bought and sold and traded around like so much bubblegum.

As for myself? I'm thinking I will stick with soundcloud as long as it lasts, but I am also taking steps to start posting my stuff on youtube as well. Who knows? If a tune of mine goes viral I may actually be able to make a buck off of it :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Well, thank you both for your responses.
Maybe YouTube is the way to go from the get go, so to speak.

Jim

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My main resistance to Youtube so far, however, has been the requirement to accompany my music with some kind of interesting video.

By no stretch of the imagination do I consider myself to be a videographer and compared to the handful of hours it takes me to create and post a song to Soundcloud I fear the learning curve involved with creating interesting videos to put up with my music.

I'm considering using a visualization library called ProjectM and a player called Clementine to create animated screen captures to accompany my music, but the alternative is to simply post a stupid static graphic or boring slide show which frankly I would think does no one any good in the end.

My advice is go youtube if you are able, but don't bother doing a half assed job of it otherwise you'll end up alienating your audience instead of growing it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I don't remember having to give my age, but I could be wrong. In any case, I don't see it displayed on my profile.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually when I logged in there today there was a popup notifying that their privacy policy has changed.

Rather than read a phone book of legalese gobbeldygook I dismissed it.

Does ANYONE who owns an iPod actually know what their TOS are? :D :D :D

Does ANYONE ACTUALLY READ ANY of those 60 page disclaimers that you agree to by breaking the wrapper on a stick of gum these days?

Face it. Google and Youtube are just as nosy and intrusive as anyone else these days.

I've probably already signed away the rights to my own kidneys a hundred times already but rather than be shut out of the interweeb what the hell are we supposed to do?

All I know is when the revenoors come to my door I'll be waiting behind it with a loaded shovel :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
My main resistance to Youtube so far, however, has been the requirement to accompany my music with some kind of interesting video.

By no stretch of the imagination do I consider myself to be a videographer and compared to the handful of hours it takes me to create and post a song to Soundcloud I fear the learning curve involved with creating interesting videos to put up with my music.

I'm considering using a visualization library called ProjectM and a player called Clementine to create animated screen captures to accompany my music, but the alternative is to simply post a stupid static graphic or boring slide show which frankly I would think does no one any good in the end.

My advice is go youtube if you are able, but don't bother doing a half assed job of it otherwise you'll end up alienating your audience instead of growing it.

Gary ;)

Well you make a very good point regarding YouTube and I needed to give it some thought before replying.
First let me add this caveat: I am fairly ignorant and inept when it comes to social media and similar things;
I admit that.
Also,a note to any reader of this post: this is all my opinion as it applies to me. I can't speak for anyone else nor determine what is best for someone else. So please keep this in mind as you read. It is all just thoughts and ideas to share for open dialogue.
I think this is a good topic and worth discussion as it has to do with presenting our music to others, and YouTube is a popular way to go.
It seems to me that no matter how something starts out, over time it becomes more sophisticated. The quality of videos offered on YouTube ( YT, from now on ) has gotten better and I can see a time when no one would dare post one which did not use 3 cameras and was produced like a Hollywood blockbuster. :D
I also am not a videographer, and as interesting as all that is, I don't really want to become one. Getting better at creating music is work enough, and demands enough of my time.
I watch different kinds of videos on YT and for different reasons. With some of those the actual video portion is not of much interest to me. When I listen to music I want to focus on the listening. Videos get in the way here and I am just as happy with the static album cover for that song. I don't want to be told or shown what I need to be imagining. In that scenario I am no longer a participant but a passive observer. I like to make a piece of instrumental music my own using my own imagination and experiences to connect with it. CD Baby is a respected name in independent music and they will post songs by their artists on YT using that static image. I have to trust that they would not take a chance on damaging the prospects of their artists by doing something alienating. I do agree if you are going to post a video, make it as good as you can, because it could do you more harm than good if it truly sucks. I also notice some variety in kinds or classifications of music related videos. I watched some of Kebu's, and he is simply surrounded by his keyboards and seems to be playing some parts live over that which he has previously recorded. Another one I watched was just a DJ jumping around in time to her music while twisting a knob or hitting a button here and there, now and then. Do these videos enhance the musical experience? Is the DJ'ing the show and the music secondary. Music in film is not primary, but an enhancement to the visual and to the story. I think there is no easy answer to it all. It seems to me it will depend a lot on the person watching. My interests are not going to match up with a ton of people's. Some people will have sympathy for my inept presentation, while others will attack it. Who is right; is there a right, really?
Tell me what you think. I am here to learn as well as share. I am sure there is much I have not considered, and don't even know about.
Jim :)

Reaction score
Actually when I logged in there today there was a popup notifying that their privacy policy has changed.

Rather than read a phone book of legalese gobbeldygook I dismissed it.

Does ANYONE who owns an iPod actually know what their TOS are? :D :D :D

Does ANYONE ACTUALLY READ ANY of those 60 page disclaimers that you agree to by breaking the wrapper on a stick of gum these days?

Face it. Google and Youtube are just as nosy and intrusive as anyone else these days.

I've probably already signed away the rights to my own kidneys a hundred times already but rather than be shut out of the interweeb what the hell are we supposed to do?

All I know is when the revenoors come to my door I'll be waiting behind it with a loaded shovel :D :D :D

Gary ;)
I will go back and look at soundcloud again, Tnx

Ask a Question