SP-280 dead or just temp coma?

Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to keyboards and hoping someone of you can help.

I just bought a used SP-280.

Problem is it is dead and I dont know Korg CPR

The only light I get (green) is on the Korg power brick.
Nothing lights on this otherwise seemingly beautifully weighted keyboard.

Is there a DR in the house?

Thanks in advance!

MC

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If the only diagnosis you are capable of is observing the green light on the power brick, then my immediate advice is take it to a tech who can offer a proper diagnosis.

Here's a handy tip though. Check if the power brick IS in fact the original from Korg or is it some $25 Amazon special that might just have the wrong current rating or polarity or voltage and maybe you have just acquired a beautiful, shiny boat anchor suitable only for the spare parts bin.

Either way, a decent tech should be able to give you a credible answer within a day or two.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary
Thank you for your reply

The back of the power supply does confirm it is Korg brand.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Double check all the same. Check Polarity, voltage and amperage either on the back of the keyboard or in the specifications section of the manual.

It is a possibility that the previous owner owned more than one Korg keyboard and accidentally swapped supplies.

Also, check the voltage with a DVOM and make sure the supply is delivering at spec.

After that it becomes a screwdriver job and I seriously doubt that you are ready for that.

It could be as simple as a loose internal wire or it could be a blown motherboard.

Without training you would probably mess it up more if you opened it up.

Take it to a shop and they will quote you a fair price for diagnosis and repair should you decide it is worth fixing.

If you want to take a whack at it yourself, then start by watching a thousand youtube videos on keyboard repair and electronics.

There's no way on god's green earth though, that I could give you a proper diagnosis by telepathy or telegraphy. :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question