Split function for Korg D1

Reaction score
Still enjoying my Kawai MP11SE, and haven't touched my Kross 2 in quite a long time. I also still haven't bought a portable gigging board so still looking.
Was looking at the Casio PX-S1000 or equivalent, something with built-in speakers in any case, but I just might change my mind and go for a board without speakers anyway. Taking a small amp with me won't be that much of a problem, as long as it's smaller and especially lighter than a Laney AH150.

Had another play on a Korg D1 recently and it really is a great little machine, very sturdily built, good quality feel and I already knew I liked the keybed. Plus, it's very affordable. So, I'm going to sell the Kross 2 88, since I don't use it anymore and very likely get a D1 as a portable backup to my MP11SE, and for doing the odd gig from time to time.
The only thing that's missing to make the D1 perfect, though, is a split function.
Korg just released updates for the Grandstage and also for the Vox Continental ; this last one was also missing a split function but this has now been remedied with the 2.0 OS upgrade.
For the tech savvy players here : is it conceivable that the D1 might get a similar kind of upgrade or wouldn't that be possible technically ? After all, it is a recent board, and came out not much earlier than the Vox and/or Grandstage.
Anyone ?

Reaction score
I suspect no one outside of Korg knows for sure whether it's technically feasible... but it's a moot point if they don't do it, and there's certainly no assurance that they would. I wouldn't buy it based on whether or not it is theoretically capable of doing something they have given no indication of having it do. Of course, your Kross 2 already does the split and is more portable (i.e. lighter) than the D1! What do you prefer about the D1, the action?

Reaction score
Well, the Kross 2 88, in its Gator case, is like a dead dog to carry around. The Kross 2 88 already is larger than similar 88-key boards and that case makes it bigger still.
The D1 is a lot more compact and with the right case, should be a lot more practical to carry around and to fit in my car (even though it's a bit heavier).
And then there's the keybed. The Korg's RH3 is not as good as the Grand Feel in my Kawai, but it is miles better than the NH keybed in the Kross 2 88. It's not that it's bad, it's very good for the use case of the Kross 2 88, but for what I want to play, the RH3 is a lot closer to a real piano feel than the NH.
Plus, the D1 is straightforward, easy to use, no menu diving and has better quality piano and EP sounds than the Kross (IMHO). In any case, switching from the Kross 2 88 to the D1 will hardly cost me any money as I can buy the D1 with a case and stand with what I'd roughly get for the Kross (I'll be selling for around the price of a new Kross 2 61, which I think is very reasonable since it's in mint condition).
My Laney AH150 is too bulky for me as well, so I'll put the money I get from selling that towards a more portable amp.

I know, as you say, the Kross 2 88 could do fine in my case but the D1 will be a lot more convenient and I'm happy to spend a small extra bit of cash to get that.

Reaction score
Hold the bus.

You are selling the Laney and getting a more portable amp!

I know I am going to regret this, but you already have a portable amp in the Roland KC220.

Reaction score
Well, I was initially looking for a portable digital piano with built-in speakers and was kind of set on the PX-S1000. And I wasn't sure whether I'd be keeping the Kross 2 88.
I bought the iLoud Micro Monitors after having another listen in a shop and sent the KC220 back as I was still within the 'return window' so didn't lose a penny on that one.
Basically, I didn't think I would have any more use for an external amp but I now kind of realize that the D1 would be better suited than the PX-S1000 and the Korg has a lot more quality feel to it (the difference in 'quality feel' between the MP11SE and the Casio PX-S1000 is too big to ignore, to be honest).

So, anyway, might purchase the KC220 again (I know how you feel about purchasing and returning multiple items but that's not my view), or something else, don't know yet. Might get that pair of CM30's after all...

Reaction score
So you returned the KC220 as well as just about every other instrument you have bought?

Good Luck finding your ideal combo.

Reaction score
So you returned the KC220 as well as just about every other instrument you have bought?

Good Luck finding your ideal combo.

The MP11SE and the iLoud speakers are perfect ! How about that ! o_O

It's simple : retailers are in the business to make money, not to make friends. If they allow customers to send back what they bought when not happy, then I'm happy to make use of that service. Everything I sent back was in mint condition, packaging included. If they sell my returned goods as B-Stock afterwards, then they will still make a healthy profit, make no mistake.
And I don't see how all of this could be any skin off your nose...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Made one last visit to a store to try some boards and decision made : I’m buying the Kawai ES110.

The individual note sampling, the realistic touch, the supplied pedal with half-damping… all point to the fact that this is meant to deliver a ‘close to real’ piano experience. And that’s exactly what I was looking for. Will be the perfect companion for my MP11SE.

Liked the Korg D1, like it a lot, including the RH3 keybed, but the ES110 just edges it out as far as realistic feel is concerned. It’s just the best and the closest you can get to a real acoustic piano (or to the MP11SE, for that matter) in this price range. Plus it’s a lot lighter to carry and I won’t have to worry about external speakers or an amp.
PX-S1000 is good, keybed included but the more I played it, the less I liked it. The touch controls just seem out of place, not so keen on those. Good keybed, though, slightly better than the D1 for piano, but still not as good as the ES110. And I can live with the fact that there's no audio input in the Kawai, the touch and sound are more important in the end.

I had also considered (and was getting a bit carried away with) the Kawai ES8 and the Yamaha P515, and I was even briefly tempted by the Yamaha CP88 and Kawai MP7SE (let's blow the budget) since I was already considering the D1 and already on the lookout for external speakers or amp, but ultimately, when I think about it, all of these are ultimately way too heavy for my use case, not too mention quite a bit over budget for a backup DP…

My Kross 2 88 is going up for sale. I liked it from the start but I haven’t played it for a long time. Had another go yesterday and I am now convinced that the NH keybed rather sucks for piano. It’s good for other stuff, don’t get me wrong, but for (classical) piano, coming from the MP11SE and after having played the ES110, it just isn’t good enough. Not to mention it’s too bulky to carry to the kind of ‘gigs’ I will be doing (I wouldn’t call them gigs, really, more like private performances for family, friends and friends of friends). It's also too big to be used as a second tier later on, so I'm selling it, together with the Spider Pro, the Gator bag and the Laney. No need for any of those in the near future.

So, very happy with my choice. Got my work cut out now, want to master Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu by the end of next month (might take a bit longer, but hey, one can be ambitious, right ?) :p

Ask a Question